The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, First I wanted to thank everyone for the help so far. This site has been extremely helpful.

My question/topic is in regards to keeping one goat by herself at night. I have a doe, her 8-9 week daughter, and an unrelated 10-11 week buckling.

I want to start milking the doe. I want to do the, keep them separate at night and together during the day method. However I am unsure how the doe will do by herself at night. I know they are pack animals and hate being alone, but does this also apply to night time and having another in close proximity but with a barrier?

I imagine she will be very anxious and loud the first few nights being separate from her baby but I wonder how she will be after that by herself. I only have the 3 goats so someone will have to be alone. I would prefer to have to babies together since they are smaller and can keep each other warm. It is not super cold here (zone 7) but January and February are the coldest times. I could do a heater but would prefer to not have a fire hazard (I have a ceramic heater but still would not want to see them burn in a fire).

So does anyone have experience with having one by themselves at night in close proximity to others. I have a 5x8 goat shed I plan to lock the babies in, and the doe can sleep in in a 5x6 shed right next to them, so she would still be close.

Thanks for the advice.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
If she is right next to them, they will cry for the first couple nights, but they should all be fine. Definitely keep the two babies together though.
I usually try to make it so that the mamas can see and touch noses with their kids (they are way calmer if they can) but if your shed is solid that isn't going to work.

Sometimes during kidding season I've had to separate one doe from the others, but as mentioned above, to keep the level of stress at a minimum, the one separated could always see/touch noses with her buddies.

·
Registered
3,060 Posts
What about putting the babies in a dog crate in the stall with the doe? They can be together but separate. The doe could lay next to the crate for added warmth for the babies too.
Now that's a good idea. I forgot, I've actually done that before LOL. (doh)

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
What about putting the babies in a dog crate in the stall with the doe? They can be together but separate. The doe could lay next to the crate for added warmth for the babies too.
I've done this many times. It works great! I have an extra large wire dog crate that I put kids. Momma can still cuddle up to the wire and everyone is together. I love this method. No screaming goats!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Which breed?

It would work for a few weeks but if they are Nigerian Dwarves that buckling will be fertile very soon if he isn't already and will breed either the doe or doeling at his first opportunity.
They are a LaMancha Nigerian dwarf mix, 31% Lamancha 68% nigierian dwarf. He is soon to become a wether. I wouldn't mind if he breeded the doe first but obviously the doeling is not fair game so he'll be a whether soon.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's a great idea, thanks!!! I hadn't thought of that. I don't' have a dog crate but I should be able to come up with something similar.

I read that moms will sometimes stick their teats next to a fence for baby to suck on through the fency, but I doubt a baby could get much that way and obviously something fine mesh like a dog crate (or my first thought is hardware cloth I have laying around) would not allow that anyways.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts