Keeping pens dry in this heat and humidity?????

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by cdtrum, Aug 13, 2010.

1. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Does anyone have any tips for keeping inside pens dry.....with it being sooooo hot and humid the boys are only going outside early mornings and late evenings, which means more poop and pee inside :hair: ! I have fans blowing and I have put down drying agents.....I have tried lots of bedding and no bedding except for where they sleep......I am sweeping the pen out 3x's a day to keep poops up. I have dirt floors and the pee soaks in but floor looks damp and I can not get rid of the odor.....any ideas?????

2. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    hmm... i'd put lime down and let it dry, then use some pellet stuff like sweet pdz.
    then you can put shavings down..

my does are spending most of the days indoors also, wood flooring.. :doh: so lots of cleanup

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I have "Barn Lime" that I scatter in the doe shed...wood plank floors with spaces like a deck so whatever pee goes under the shed, the lime helps with odor , the boys have been pretty good about staying out in the pasture so their shed is dry. I sweep up berries 2x a day and I have noticed that my spoiled brats won't even go to the pasture til after 2, they spend the morning inside!