Keeping sheep with goats???

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by LibertyHomesteadFarm, Oct 28, 2014.

1. LibertyHomesteadFarm

LibertyHomesteadFarm Member

Feb 1, 2014
    I am thinking about getting 2-3 Gulf Coast Native sheep lambs in the spring to add to my goat herd (Nigerians and Oberhaslis).

What is a good mineral mix for goats AND sheep? I know sheep can't have copper, so I will give the goats copper supplementation to make up.

Any advice would be great! Also, what about keeping a ram with my bucks?? The opinions seem to be divided on that issue. (from what I've heard it relies on the temperament of the rams/bucks)

2. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    We used an "all stock" mineral. Just be sure it specifically lists sheep on the label. Then, like you said....just do copper boluses for the goats.

3. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    OK! Any opinions on keeping rams with bucks??

4. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    Ummmm....go for it? LOL I would keep them together, but that's me. Watch for any issues such as someone getting hurt by fighting but other than that I don't see what difference it would make

5. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    OK, some people worry about a ram butting a buck when the buck rears, hitting the buck in the belly.

6. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    I read that normally happens with an adult ram put with goats for the first time.
    I plan on raising the sheep with the goats. :)

7. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    My concern wouldbe that Rams are more devious the goats..and will ram when the buck is not looking...this is where it is dangerous...catching the goat off guard can kill him...Sheep and goats dont play/fight the same...so in the very least, they will need plenty of space to get away from eachother if need be...

8. kccjer

kccjer New Member

Jan 27, 2012
    NW Kansas
    And that ^^^ might be your answer. I don't think we had rams and bucks on the place at the same time when we had sheep. And we didn't have the sheep for very long. I wouldn't have thought about that tho and would have kept the males together

9. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    I have read that elsewhere, but have also read that if you raise the ram with the goats, he will respect them. Also if they start to fight you can put a ram mask on him to curb that behavior. :)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  10. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    we had a pretty docile Dorper ram...but when rut season came we could not turn our back on him..thing is they are just sneaky...even growing up together..a ram is a ram..and he will wait until the buck is not looking...just be careful and have a plan in place if the ram become devious...I have not used a mask...

11. BoulderOaks

BoulderOaks Active Member

Sep 23, 2014
    Weldon, CA
    We have 15 rams currently together and running with the ewes. They will ram each other on their sides occasionally if a younger one is trying to mount a ewe that a more mature ram has his eye on, but otherwise they do the back up 30 or so feet and charge each other kind of fighting between the similar sized boys when sorting out the pecking order. If it goes on more than a minute or two, we'll put ram masks on the two contenders for a few days and they stop. So I agree, a ram mask would be a great investment if your ram is aggressive toward the buck. We haven't had any issues with any of the rams trying to ram humans though, neither in or out of breeding season. The oldest/dominant one has threatened some of the men that go in the pen but didn't do a full-blown charge, but no issues with most men or with women.

I had the buck I used this fall in with the sheep a few times, and neither the buck nor rams even seemed to notice each other, though the buck did attempt to mount a couple of the ewes.

12. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    OK, thanks for the info!

13. LibertyHomesteadFarm

Feb 1, 2014
    Update...I got my two ewe lambs on Wednesday!!
    The goats aren't so sure they like them, but the lambs took right to my LGD! LOL!!
    The lambs follow my LGD around everywhere. (I think they think she's a sheep LOL)
    [​IMG]
    Name suggestions are appreciated!
    The lamb on the left is ear tag #46, the lamb on the right is #43.