Keeping weight on a rutty boy

Discussion in 'Bucks' started by GoofyGoat, Nov 14, 2020.

1. GoofyGoat

GoofyGoat Well-Known Member

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    My Merlin is giving me a run for my money this year.. I know some weight loss is normal BUT....
    He’s getting ribby no matter what I do to the point I’m really getting worried. He’s a one and a half year old Nigerian dwarf. His FAMACHA is a 1-2 and he is being kept in a pen away from the doe area with a wether friend.
    I’ve tried upping his grain and alfalfa pellet ration, I’m giving him both Sudan and alfalfa hay, I’ve tried adding in dyne, calf manna And beet pulp shreds.
    I sent out a fecal for tape worms which is a stretch but not impossible with the wormings I do.
    Suggestions please..

MadHouse likes this.
  2. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Oh, forgot to add...
    I’ve only used him for two does since I can’t handle more this year so he’s done for the year...no more dates though there are many screaming girls in earshot.

MadHouse and Moers kiko boars like this.

3. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Rut season is so hard on the boys. Ruleing out parasites is good. Try adding browse foods to his pen. My boys barely eat their meals too. Its frustrating..but they love them some leaves.

4. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    A breeder friend of mine suggested bran pellets - can get them at tsc - has really helped one of my boys this season! I used the beet pulp, calf manna route too - but it just didn't do much for him.....

5. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thank you. I’ll try the bran pellets. He’s just so skinny. I hoped putting him in a smaller pen away from the girls would help..out of sight out of mind type of thing but it hasn’t :(

6. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    I feel your pain - m boy Blue is fine - but Hank is always throwing something new to me ,,, really happy how it worked - even though he is still breeding - try to take a pic today sometime. He was just ribby and "hippy"....... ugh.

7. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks, Merlin held his weight fine last year so this was a bit of a surprise. I just hope rut ends soon so I can get him back in condition.

8. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  9. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks y’all.
    He ate his breakfast this morning which is the first real meal in a week.
    I really was hoping to sell him soon but until I get him into condition I can’t. :(
    He’s too closely related to most of my does and until I’m more mobile a bit of a handful. He’s a really sweet laid back buck and good boy Usually...but he’s a bit crazy right now.Ugh,

10. MadHouse

MadHouse Well-Known Member

My boy loves pumpkin and squash. Steamed or baked is the best, he says.

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  11. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    6oz flat room temp dark beer daily for a week then 2x weekly. Fecal test.

joe_1203 and GoofyGoat like this.
  12. MadHouse

I hope you get him to eat better and he gets some meat on his ribs!
    Give him a stinky scratch from me!

Moers kiko boars and GoofyGoat like this.
  13. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    Thanks for the suggestion but it’s not a rumen issue it’s a distraction issue. With me being in a wheelchair right now I couldn’t wrestle him to drench him anyway.

14. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I couldn’t find bran pellets so I grabbed some whole oats since he loves hands full of them. He also ate some peanuts but lost interest when Tonks started her hollering for him...errr...bloody horney goats Ugh!

Moers kiko boars and MadHouse like this.
  15. NigerianDwarfOwner707

NigerianDwarfOwner707 Well-Known Member

May 17, 2018
    East Coast, USA
    Nope, not for the rumen. Beer contains a lot of nutrients that really helps underweight goats. Not the rumen, weight itself. It’s better than Dyne. Liquid gold. Try offering it in a bucket some do love it!!

joe_1203 and GoofyGoat like this.
  16. AndersonRanch

AndersonRanch Well-Known Member

Oct 17, 2020
    California
    Ugh what is with bucks this year! Mine all look terrible and they are still so strongly in rut. I don’t think it’s the deed of breeding since mine all got just a handful of does as well it’s just the stupidity that comes with rut!
    There are 3 things that I swear by on putting weight on, it won’t really help if they are on strike eating but at least it will help when they decide not to be morons. The dune which you are already doing. But watch that, some goats don’t really like the taste of it. I’m assuming your mixing it in his feed so that might make him not want to eat. The kids show kids would NOT eat that stuff willingly! We even went with tough love with it and they would rather starve! Calf manna is another that I really like. It’s expensive but I just saw at my tractor supply a few months back they have a off brand that is exactly the same but $10 a bag cheaper. And then something called show bloom I tried last year. It is SUPER SUPER expensive but it is almost a joke on how little they need of that stuff to make a difference. I bought 2 bags last year and mixed in with all the kids grain and even having over 80 kids I still had a little bit left.
    But really probably the only thing that is going to really get him to start packing the pounds on is when this never ending rut ends :/ I think his age is about the worse to deal with. Yearlings to 2 years old they seem to be extra hormonal and dumb about eating

17. GoofyGoat

Sep 21, 2018
    TEXAS
    I’ll try the show bloom if this continues thanks for the suggestion. I’ll also try a bucket of beer. The only thing about the beer is I’ll have to remove his wether friend from the pen because he’s a lush and loves beer...Merlin wouldn’t get a drop if I don’t lol.

MadHouse likes this.
  18. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Clyde is hard to feed during rut, hes been good on apple slices and oats this year.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  19. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Make sure he is worm and cocci clean.
    Stress can bring it in and cause weight loss.
    So be sure to get a fecal in case.

GoofyGoat and MadHouse like this.
  20. MadHouse

I offered beer to each goat as a trial back in the summer. The only one who wouldn’t touch it was my buck. Shook his head in disgust!
    Funny, how a thing can be the best thing ever to some and disgusting to others...

GoofyGoat likes this.