The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make kefir from goat milk? I have a 77 year old friend that was diagnosed in 1992 with spinal cancer and was told she wouldn't live another 5 years with chemo. She was a nurse and believes in homeopathic treatments so refused and started other treatments. She has some proton machine that she uses as well as other stuff. Anyway she started making kefir from my goat milk and she swears it is making a difference with her level of pain. Well.. It got me curious on trying it too. So anyone have any experience with making it or using it? Anyone know where I can get grains? I would like live ones and many on line places they are dehydrated.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've used the dehydrated water kefir grains. As long as you rehydrate them according to directions, they ARE live...and work great. My family isn't big on the milk kefir so I don't even try to do that. Water kefir, on the other hand....is fabulous!!! And I really need to order some new grains because I let mine die :(

·
Registered
249 Posts
I have a gal going to send me some live grains once this cold snap is over. She uses goat milk. I won't have fresh goat milk until April when my two freshen but plan on using organic, store bought until then. If you already haven't found another source before I get mine going and growing I'll send you some. I am very happy for your friend.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well.. She had her sister helping her make them and she put them in the frig.. Then when she doesn't have enough goat milk she has been using coconut milk and then bought store ultra pasteurized goat milk. So.. I don't think her grains are a good choice to start from. I will look at the water ones. That sounds interesting.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a gal going to send me some live grains once this cold snap is over. She uses goat milk. I won't have fresh goat milk until April when my two freshen but plan on using organic, store bought until then. If you already haven't found another source before I get mine going and growing I'll send you some. I am very happy for your friend.
Thanks, and good luck starting yours.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
The water kefir is super good. During the hot summer days, it is super refreshing. I would have 3 or 4 gallons of it going at a time because I couldn't keep up with my family demand for it. Even my nephew who is super picky loved the stuff and would drain a quart of it when he'd come in the house. You can make all kinds of flavors with it. I can send you my "recipes" for it if you'd like. Just be aware that the grains multiply like crazy...or at least mine did. I fed kefir to my goats, chickens, etc. When I had lots of extra grains those went to the critters too.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The water kefir is super good. During the hot summer days, it is super refreshing. I would have 3 or 4 gallons of it going at a time because I couldn't keep up with my family demand for it. Even my nephew who is super picky loved the stuff and would drain a quart of it when he'd come in the house. You can make all kinds of flavors with it. I can send you my "recipes" for it if you'd like. Just be aware that the grains multiply like crazy...or at least mine did. I fed kefir to my goats, chickens, etc. When I had lots of extra grains those went to the critters too.
That would be awesome! And I'll be ordering kefir grains as soon as I have extra milk but the water ones I can do now. Where is a good place to order them?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I'm not surprised at all that your friend is doing well after refusing chemo and using alternative methods. I've heard this SO MANY times. If I ever get cancer, praying that I don't, I will never take chemo or radiation. I won't say anymore so I don't start a war, but let's just say there are many proven cures for cancer that have been hushed up and verbally sabotaged by alphabet soup groups, big pharma and main stream media. Now I will zip it.

I have kefir grains for goat milk but I'm not sure how they would survive going through the mail....does anyone know?

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm not surprised at all that your friend is doing well after refusing chemo and using alternative methods. I've heard this SO MANY times. If I ever get cancer, praying that I don't, I will never take chemo or radiation. I won't say anymore so I don't start a war, but let's just say there are many proven cures for cancer that have been hushed up and verbally sabotaged by alphabet soup groups, big pharma and main stream media. Now I will zip it. I have kefir grains for goat milk but I'm not sure how they would survive going through the mail....does anyone know?
I agree!! That's a whole new topic and I don't want to be put on a government watch list so I'll keep it at that. :)
If you figure out how to send, I would be thrilled to get some and would pay you. I won't have any goat milk until my new girl kids in Feb but my Jersey is producing so I have cow milk.

·
Registered
871 Posts
I agree!! That's a whole new topic and I don't want to be put on a government watch list so I'll keep it at that. :)
If you figure out how to send, I would be thrilled to get some and would pay you. I won't have any goat milk until my new girl kids in Feb but my Jersey is producing so I have cow milk.
I hear ya! :shades:

I will look into how to mail them and if you want to inbox me your mailing address, I'll send some out for you this week. No need to pay. This is what goatie friends are for, to lend a hand when we can. :lovey:

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
a friend of mine gave me dehydrated ones from Cultures for Health, but if your friend has live ones, just ask for 1 tbsp. of the grains. they'll grow and multiply, and in no time you'll have so many you'll start eating them!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Here's a great place to order grains: http://kefirlady.com/ She also raises goats! She sells milk kefir and water kefir grains as well as kombucha cultures. Check out her website!
Awesome! I was just going to a google search and find a site for ordering. LOL Here's the water kefir sheet I sent out with my grains when I had enough....and I usually just charged cost of mailing which was about $3. LOL My grains multiplied like crazy...from 2/3 cup within about 1 month I had enough grains to do over 3 gallons of kefir daily AND give some away AND throw some out.

WATER KEFIR GRAINS
My general recipe is:

2 quart jar
1/3 cup sugar (mix of white and brown….grains like the molasses)
water-NO CHLORINE
2/3 cup kefir grains

I dissolve the sugar in 1 cup or so hot or warm tap water with whatever flavorings I'm using and then finish filling 1/2 the jar with cold. Put the grains in, fill to 1 inch from top with cool water, put the lid on tight and
shake to mix everything in. Let set for 24 to 48 hours (longer will become less sweet…taste after 24 hours to see if it's where you want it to be Too long and it will be "vinegary tasting"). This will get fizzy. I've actually had it bend a couple of my lids. I don't stir or shake while it's brewing as it seems to kill my fizz.

Variations we have used and liked:
Sliced ginger root (approx 1 or 2 inches of root thinly sliced) (can be used 2 or 3 times)
2 or 3 Tbsp Vanilla (usually added with the ginger..gives a cream soda taste)
Dried Berries of all kinds…use berries one time only
½ lemon or lime or orange with 1 T candied ginger
Dried or fresh sliced apples…not a lot of flavor on their own tho…good with other fruits
1 tsp or so of concentrated juice added when I bottle it (cherry is fabulous, apple doesn't give a lot of flavor....juice tends to turn to alcohol fairly quickly)
Fresh strawberries…2 or 3 quartered….dd and dh love (I hate strawberries so…..)
Tea bags….green, chai, orange spice, mint etc…fantastic
Sliced bananas (approx 2 inches of banana thickly sliced…thin falls apart…fairly sweet)

I have my grains in a tulle net bag that I rubberband together. Make sure the bag is a little big as the grains will grow. This makes it sooooo much easier to separate out.

I use my mom's old 24 oz pepsi bottles to bottle and put in fridge. I strain into a pitcher cause the 2 qt bottles are too heavy to handle when pouring into the pepsi bottles. I use a small funnel to pour into those. Rinse the grains and put in freshly prepared jars of sugar water. Grains will
discolor with certain things….blueberries, tea, etc. They still work just the same and I simply put them into whatever I'm "brewing".

·
Registered
201 Posts
You can get goat kefir grains, water grains and cow grains from http://yemoos.com/ They are live grains - big, fat and sassy. I am still using my 2 year old grains. My first set of grains came from Cultures of Health and they were dehydrated . After 2 months, they never got bigger than a tablespoon.
Cancer: Water fast eats up sick diseased tissue in the body and should eat up cancer cells.

·
Goatless goat momma
7,838 Posts
yes, I noticed my Cultures for Health ones took a long time to get really really healthy. but mine are over a year old now, and in a quart jar I have about 2 inches of grains on the bottom. they are big and healthy!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You can get goat kefir grains, water grains and cow grains from http://yemoos.com/ They are live grains - big, fat and sassy. I am still using my 2 year old grains. My first set of grains came from Cultures of Health and they were dehydrated . After 2 months, they never got bigger than a tablespoon. Cancer: Water fast eats up sick diseased tissue in the body and should eat up cancer cells.
Thanks for the link, I ordered some as well as Goatiegrannie sent me some. Very appreciative of that, can't wait to taste it.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, so I have made a couple days worth of Kefir. It's horrible.. And my family refuses to try it. So I made a smoothie with lots of sugar, raspberries and they didn't notice the kefir in it. I just wonder if the health benefits are still there if you add in all the sugar. :)
Also on first batch of water kefir.. Taste like sugar water. Is that what it's suppose to taste like?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts