The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is Thorvin Kelp an 'aquired taste' for goats?

I'd read a lot of good things about kelp and thought my goats might benefit from it, so I purchased the kelp over the 4th of July weekend during Hoeggers $1 shipping sale. Had to wait over 2 months to get the kelp as it was out of stock.

After all that waiting I finally get to put some out for my goats and they just took a tiny sniff and walked away. NOT EVEN ONE GOAT TASTED IT!!! :GAAH:

Will they eventually try it or maybe they just don't need it???

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
When I first put it out not one of mine would try it. They looked at it and not even a sniff, walked away. Now if I put it out they crowd around me and then fight for the stuff in the container. This is not unusual behavior for this crowd

Maybe your goats are being goats. ;)

·
Registered
930 Posts
I mix it in with my mineral, now if I do side by side with kelp and mineral they take a couple licks of mineral then chow down on the kelp.

·
Super Moderator
58,830 Posts
Goats almost never like anything new. You can just leave it out or start mixing a little into their mineral.

·
1,524 Posts
Oh, definitely an acquired taste. I mixed mine in with their minerals until they got used to it. Now, they will scarf it up plain!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts