Kelp Question Please

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by bleatinghearts, Mar 8, 2011.

1. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    For those who add Sea Kelp to your goats ration...do you feed it free choice, mix it with loose minerals or put a measured amount in their grain ration. The two new boers I have dont like the SweatLix mineral and dont touch it. After a recent post, I ordered some of the Onyx cattle mineral but that isnt going to be here for a couple weeks. I was hoping the kelp would make the SweatLix more palitable. Any feedback would be appritiated.

2. Chi Chi

Chi Chi New Member

Mar 7, 2010
    We mix kelp in our sheeps mineral. I notice with the girls if I pour the kelp on top they eat more minerals trying to get all the kelp. I sprinkle kelp on the both the goats and sheeps grain.

3. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

When I feed it, I feed free choice.

4. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    So, tonight when I got home with it, I offered some to the doe (in my hand) and she went after it BIG TIME! Can they eat too much of it if offered free choice? Is there such thing as kelp overdose? :laugh:

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    your getting the onyx?
    will you send me a bag ?? :) I couldn't get the stores down here to order any.

i would just give them a few handfuls a day.

6. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Thats wierd. AFW (think thats the name) has nutrina products. I wonder why they cant/wont special order it for you. I just put my special order in today and I havn't heard yet what its going to cost. Its not cheap for us...I know that. If everything works out good and I can really get some, I would be happy to send you some and a copy of the tag. See if you like it before ordering a whole bag if you want. I called our Nutrina rep and never got a call back. Man I hate that. I really wanted to see whats in it before ordering it but I guess if I think its not what I want for the goats after getting it, I can always feed it to the steer. After listening to everyone who has used it, I dont think I'm going to be unhappy with it though. PM me your mailing address and when/if I get it, I'll send you some.

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    AFW refuses to do any custom orders.. really is a pain!

yeah, the regular sweetlix is $27 for a 25lbbag. AK Mill ordered me show goat feed, and it was almost $30 a bag.. no way!

8. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    $25 for SweetLix. Funny how it has to be trucked way up here and its cheaper. Not cheap...but cheaper! :) One thing I really like about AFC...they are happy to do special orders any time and they mail stuff to the bush for folks every day. Chicks came in last week. Everyone in Fairbanks has spring fever big time. Lots of happy people now that the temps are 20 degrees during the day.

9. milkmaid

milkmaid I'm not addicted - I'm in love!

No, they'll only eat what they need. :) At least I've never heard of a goat eating too much. She should slow down after a few days or so.

10. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Thanks guys! I've never really been into herbs but going to get the kelp at the health food store and seeing this huge wall of herbs has me wondering about what other things might be used on goats. So much to learn! :) :) :)

11. lissablack

lissablack New Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Kelp is very high in iodine, which can cause thyroid problems. I have quit feeding it to my goats because of that. If it is true they will only eat what they need, it would be better to feed it free choice than mixed with something else they need. But I don't know if it's true. They will certainly eat more peanuts than they need, and more grain.

Jan

12. bleatinghearts

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    :p That's for sure! Thanks Jan. I'll look into the kelp more. I'm such a worry wart. This girls not in great shape and I certainly don't want to make her worse.

13. becca

becca New Member

Dec 6, 2010
    When i first started feeding kelp, I would put out 2 cups for them to eat free choice. Then i noticed the same goat was eating all the kelp every day.
    This went on for 2 weeks, I was hoping she would slow down but she didn't so now i add it to there feed at a tablespoon a day.
    Just make sure one of the goats is not being a hog.

14. kitten6500

kitten6500 New Member

Dec 31, 2010
    I leave kelp out free choice for my 5 Nigerians and 3 cows. I've seen them all eat it, and no one seems to hog it so they have it free choice along with their other supplements and salt.