Kelp: To much?

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by MoKa-Farms, Oct 21, 2013.

1. MoKa-Farms

MoKa-Farms 4-H Secretary for Life ^.^

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    Hi, guys! I was wondering...
    Whenever I give our goats kelp, the gulp it all down in less than 10 minutes, and we have 3 mineral feeders, and only 6 goats(2 not interested in kelp that much, so that's 4)! I was wondering if they are deficient, eating too much kelp, or if it is an alright thing. Everyone has bright pink gums and eyelids and they are worm-free. 2 are fiber goat females, 1 is a fiber wether, and the other of the four kelp-lovers is a pregnant (supposedly) Nigerian Dwarf doe.
    Thanks, everyone!

2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you Staff Member Supporting Member

They just need it. They can't over eat it as it just contains trace minerals. If you keep it out on a regular basis, they ill slow down on it after a while.

3. MoKa-Farms

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    Thank goodness! I was really worried they would over dose on the kelp. And it's not possible for them to over eat free choice minerals either?

4. goathiker

Not really. This time of year my goats always act like they are starving for everything. Part of getting stocked up for winter I think.

5. oneway_hillbilly_aces

oneway_hillbilly_aces New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Where do i find kelp. Mine want to eat the shirt off your back.

6. MoKa-Farms

Jun 19, 2013
    Lisbon, Maine
    Thanks, goathiker! Yeah, our goats are really beating on the mineral lick right now.
    We get our kelp from The Holistic Horse (theholisitichorse.com). You can find it in the Poultry section as pure kelp and in Horse as 80% sea salt and 20% kelp.

7. oneway_hillbilly_aces

oneway_hillbilly_aces New Member

Oct 21, 2013
    Tw i try to have a wide variety of musthaves an gotta gets for my newbibore crew.

8. Texaslass

Texaslass New Member

May 15, 2013
    It's amazing how every time I have a question, someone else kindly starts a thread for just that! :lol:
    I was just wondering that today! My goats were gobbling the kelp today!

9. goathiker

Since I do live on the coast and take my goats to the beach...I know, I'm weird...Anyway, they eat bucket loads of kelp and sea lettuce, and crab shells, while we are down there. It can't really be anything but good for them.

I get mine at the feed store in 50lb bags.

10. Cedar Point Kikos

Cedar Point Kikos Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2013
    Canada
    Give it as 'limited free choice'. So put a certain amount out every evening/morning. Soon they should slow down eating it. But you don't want them to eat a large amount at one time, as they cannot absorb all of it...and they waste it.