The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be ordering this Ketone meter here soon, anyone use it?

The price is fantastic and it should be much more reliable than those terrible urine test strips!
Hopefully I wont be needing it, but after having two does fight toxemia (heavy milking does, 3 massive kids each) I want to be better prepared. :) I found the urine strips to be unreliable and lets face it...who wants to wait around for a sick goat to pee? It'll be so much easier to pull blood as needed.

https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/pro...TJDJTIydXRmOCUyMiUzQSUyMiVFMiU5QyU5MyUyMiU3RA

·
14,725 Posts
Interesting. If you get it you'll have to update on how you like it. I don't mind the test strips myself only because we have a smaller herd, and only kid out 6-8 does a year, but if I had a larger herd I'd be interested in something like this.

·
Registered
626 Posts
There was a few posts about this meter on Facebook recently. Good reviews, many said it was very reliable and much more accurate than the urine strips. I went ahead and ordered one myself.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I'm going to be ordering this Ketone meter here soon, anyone use it?

The price is fantastic and it should be much more reliable than those terrible urine test strips!
Hopefully I wont be needing it, but after having two does fight toxemia (heavy milking does, 3 massive kids each) I want to be better prepared. :) I found the urine strips to be unreliable and lets face it...who wants to wait around for a sick goat to pee? It'll be so much easier to pull blood as needed.

https://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/pro...TJDJTIydXRmOCUyMiUzQSUyMiVFMiU5QyU5MyUyMiU3RA
When you get it, would you mind posting the parameters of the results page in the owners manual please. I'm curious what the difference is between this and a human one that you can buy at a drug store for $20. ...we use human ketostrips, so why wouldn't a human tester work too...
Thanks

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There was a few posts about this meter on Facebook recently. Good reviews, many said it was very reliable and much more accurate than the urine strips. I went ahead and ordered one myself.
Those posts were probably mine ;)

When you get it, would you mind posting the parameters of the results page in the owners manual please. I'm curious what the difference is between this and a human one that you can buy at a drug store for $20. ...we use human ketostrips, so why wouldn't a human tester work too...
Thanks
Absolutely!

I'll update I order it. I've found the urine strips to be wildly inaccurate so I'm hoping this'll help us better manage our heavy bred does.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
Those posts were probably mine ;)

Absolutely!

I'll update I order it. I've found the urine strips to be wildly inaccurate so I'm hoping this'll help us better manage our heavy bred does.
Thank you! I've got two does who are 5 weeks out but getting HUGE so I'm really keeping a close eye on their eating and will be testing them periodically starting soon. I'd prefer a quick ear prick over chasing a nervous momma with a cup on a stick. LOL ;)

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm curious how well this works, as well.

Reactions: toth boer goats
1 - 14 of 14 Posts