Kick me while I'm down...?BINKEY?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by liz, Mar 8, 2010.

1. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Where to start....you all know that Binkey delivered a stillborn buckling Friday afternoon, She's been on 3.5 cc Pen G since then, has had probiotics and is eating, drinking, cud chewing, eliminating normal since then. She did step on the afterbirth as it was hanging from her when she was circling to look for her kid, I thot it all came out...there has been no stench or odd color to her discharge so I didn't have any reason to think anything was wrong. Today, she went with the others to the main hayracks and was doing well...I noticed a white "thing" sticking out of her so I grabbed a wipey to get it and it was one of those white button things that is on the afterbirth...still, no stench so she continued eating, with the discharges she's been having, I figured she would clean out. I left for a couple hours and got home to her crying, I went straight out back to find her standing in the yard just crying, as soon as I went into the shed, she wanted in her stall...I gave everyone hay and as I was going into the main area I noticed a reddish blob in the bedding....I figured great..she cleaned out!! I picked it up with a handful of the bedding and put it in a bucket to check it out...heres the kicker, NOT ONLY DID SHE DELIVER A STILLBORN FULL TERM BUCKLING BUT SHE ALSO PASSED A DOE FETUS TODAY. Sorry, I did not take a pic of her but it appears that she died at the 3 month mark....totally formed, no hair and was a brownish/pinkish color I assume is decomp.....NO STENCH...This baby's legs were smaller than the thickness of a pencil and her head smaller than a golf ball...the cord was still attached too.
    I am going to go with 7 days of the Pen instead of the normal 5....anything else I should do for her, She is being totally normal, no temp either.

2. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    oh my gosh I am so sorry that you are having to go through all this :hug:

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    wow how crazy!?

Good idea to keep up with the pen...

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I bumped her, never felt anything at all in there...and she never acted like she was going to deliver another :shrug:

Is what I am doing going to be enough? I am milking her 3 times a day hoping to keep her uterus stimulated enough to continue cleaning out.... she is not acting like a laboring goat or even one in distress. :?

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    not sure about this, not familiar with it but will oxytocin help her clean out?

6. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    With the check I did a few minutes ago...she's happily munching her hay.

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    so sorry Liz thats terrible :hug:

glad to hear Binkey is doing ok. Yah doing the pen for 7-10 days wouldnt be a bad idea

8. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I won't be doing a repeat of this breeding...wether it was because of the fact that I think Chief IS polled or just something that happened or the closeness in lines , this is not something I want to happen again. :(

9. cdtrum

cdtrum New Member

Aug 25, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    Oh Liz :hug: ....I am so very sorry, how sad for you and Binkey. So happy to hear that she is doing good and being herself despite this happening.

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Yeah, I would continue the Pen G for a 10 day period.

That's crazy what happened, but I bet the bucklings cord got wrapped around this one and that's why it broke too soon.

:hug:

11. 4kids

4kids New Member

Jul 21, 2009
    Oh I am so sorry for you loss!

12. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I just praise the lord he was able to help her expel that fetus. It could of been a LOT worse.

13. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    I know it could have been much worse, I am scared to death now and can't get excited over Angels impending birth...

14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the pen..... :hug:

I am sorry... you endured such an unusual circumstance.... that is odd.. that she doesn't have an odor/infection....but that is a huge plus... :hug: :pray:

15. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    No odor at all...which did puzzle me..anyhow, shes been on 3 1/2 cc pen 1x a day since Friday, she is eating well, I've gotten a little more than a quart from her so far today...I'm milking 3 x a day just to keep her production up/ hopefully it is helping her insides heal too. The swelling was gone by yesterday and the only thing "different" with Binkey is that she has started to cry loudly when she see's me????

16. fruittartcaprines

fruittartcaprines New Member

Mar 3, 2010
    Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss :( What a rough one....

17. Lawanda

Lawanda New Member

Jun 11, 2009
    West Virginia
    Oh you poor thing. Poor Binkey :(

It prolly is helping her, with the milking, and all.. I know it does with people, it helps expel things in the uterus to get milk flowing through there.

18. WalnutGroveFarm

WalnutGroveFarm Senior Member

Sep 27, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Im so sorry Liz :hug: I hope everything gets better from here on out. You feel the way I did when I lost Joy in dec. I couldnt get excited about Celia's birth that was coming up becasue of fear. I didnt want to go through the same thing again. But as each day passed it got better. Im so sorry this happened to you. Give Binkey a hug for me.

19. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV
    Good grief, Liz! I'm so sorry to hear about the kids, but am glad to hear that Binkey seems to be dong okay. Hang in there....

20. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Thank you all for your kind replies :hug:

It's been a week now and Binkey is being as normal as any new mom would be, she's getting the pen til Sunday and I am still milking her 3x a day....she got on the milkstand by herself sor the first time yesterday, no prompting from me at all, and when she finished her grain she just stood and looked back at me as I finished up...totally broke my heart, she is such a good mommy, she didn't deserve to have no babies to care for :sigh: