Kicky doe - trying to wean me?

Discussion in 'Dairy Diaries' started by WingtheGoat, Nov 22, 2010.

1. WingtheGoat

WingtheGoat New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Hi, all- I'm new here. We have Saanens, one milking doe, a wether and one doeling, born the end of June. We've been milking since July and Wing has alsways been a very sweet cooperative milker - until recently. She's still fine with my husband and son, but I'm the one who milks during the week, and she's become very difficult. She starts trying to kick as soon as I touch her teat, and is very difficult to distract with her usual treats. I thought at first she didn't like my cold hands, so I've been wearing gloves to keep them warm until I milk. I've ordered a hobble, but wondered if anyone has had this experience or had any advice. She acts like she's trying to wean me!

Thanks,
    Laura

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    How is her udder.. is it warm to the touch..red...bumpy feeling?
    How does the milk look?.....
    Sometimes... when they get uncomfortable like that.. all of a sudden.... it is a good idea... to check for mastitis....in case....

Or you may milk her differently ...then the others...that makes her uncomfortable...or it may hurt.... I need to ask this... but... are you an experienced milker... been doing it for a while? .....Where you taught the proper way ...on how to milk? Sorry... but I have to ask this... as that can be why..... she is that way...with you.... :hug:

Does she stop kicking at you... after she is milked out some...and not so tight?

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    If you've been milking her thru the week and hubby does it on weekends and this is new behavior for her with you....She may be in heat or as Toth said, check her udder for any heat or odd bumps etc. If she has a sore spot on a teat, your hands may be smaller than hubby's and you are applying pressure to it, my guess would be though that she is in heat. Also, if her udder is healthy she may just be testing you... show her you aren't a push over and her behavior is not acceptable.

4. WingtheGoat

WingtheGoat New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Thanks! After I posted that yesterday, I went out to milk - and she was good as gold! And again today.

Her udder and teats are fine, and no signs of mastitis. I am not a VERY experienced milker, but we've been milking since July with no problems. That said, I think I may have been squeezing a little too hard or in some way that was uncomfortable - I was conscious yesterday and today of trying to be gentler, and it seemed to work.

While my husband's hands are larger, my 12-y.o. son's are much smaller - but maybe he's gentler?

I've seen no signs of heat yet - but it could be that, Also, we just sold one of her two doelings - a couple of weeks ago - and she's starting to wean the other one.

Anyway, thanks to both of you for your suggestions. I'll let you know how it goes.

Laura

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    It's good to hear that her udder is healthy and that she's behaved herself.
    Even the most co-operative does can be stinkers at one time or another! I have one that is a total joy to milk 99% of the time, then she'll act up by squatting so low she pins my wrists against the bucket! By the next milking she's back to her sweet self.

6. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Your welcome.... :thumb:

Glad a gentler touch is helping.... I thought that might of been it....I am happy... her udder is fine..... happy Milking.... :greengrin: :thumb:

7. WingtheGoat

WingtheGoat New Member

Nov 19, 2010
    Just an update - she's still giving me a hard time, off & on - and she's much better with both my husband and son. She is in heat, so that may be a factor. (We're not planning to breed her this year.) I've used the hobble a couple of times - she HATES it, but it works - but I hate to make milking time unpleasant. I brought some apple slices with me this morning to distract her, and that worked for awhile. I'll just keep trying....

8. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Watch how your husband and son ... are milking her ...(their technique) what they are doing .... attitude ect..

Also.... when she see's you ...she may associate you ...with the hobbles and act up .... because it is so unpleasant to her.... but sometimes... we have to do things ...that they don't like ...to achieve what we need to do......

When they are in season.... they can be butt heads to.. :wink:

Keep trying and try to figure out why she is acting up on you and not the boys.... :hug: