Kid acting strange

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by Mandoziz, Jan 10, 2011.

1. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    So my two new nubian kids are 11 days old today, and the little buckling is just acting "off" today. I'm guessing it has to do with them getting disbudded yesterday but I'm not sure. He's sleepy and lets out sad little noises occasionally. He still nurses great and gets playful at times during the day. The only other strange thing is that he has this little pouch under his chin, maybe the size of half a golf ball. The doeling doesn't have it. Could it be a "boy" thing? Maybe I'm just reading into nothing here but he's just a little off.
    He was given a tetnus antitoxin before the disbudding. Do they take a few days to get back to their normal bouncy selves after that procedure?

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    the pouch could be a milk goiter

but it also could be a sign of swelling - do you have any banamine?

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with Stacey....if you have Banimine.......it will help with pain and swelling...some babies with disbudding... have more pain than others....it sounds as if ....he is having a hard time......... it will be that way... for a little while.... so ....if you can give him something to help him through it ........that will be good..... Poor guy.... :( :hug:

4. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    The "pouch" is actually under his JAW (behind his jaw along his neck) not his chin. Would a milk goiter be due to disbudding? He does try hard to scratch at the pouch with his back hoof. I don't have any banamine, should I go get some from the vet?

5. Mandoziz

Mandoziz New Member

Aug 4, 2010
    Yep, I think you are right Stacey, it's a milk goiter. I just read all about it here: http://www.goatbiology.com/milkgoiter.html

Fascinating read. Looks like it's a normal response to stress and some goats develop them. Can be linked to lower iodine levels.

"Milk goiter is the very common, normal enlargement of the thymus gland which is part of the maturation of the immune system in nearly all juvenile mammals. Why the thymus gland is larger in some kids or children than others is not well understood. However, reducing the size at an early age could result a less efficient immune response for the life of the goat as has been shown to be the case in humans. Instead, welcome milk goiters with the understanding that the immune system is laying the foundation for your kids' healthy future."

Thanks so much! I'm not worried anymore. You guys rock!

6. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :cool:

Banamine is a great product to have around.... I would recommend getting some.... :wink: :thumb:

7. bleatinghearts

bleatinghearts New Member

Feb 26, 2010
    Fairbanks, AK
    Thanks Mandoziz! I'm going to look into that. Interesting.