Kid Breathing Fast but Treatment Not Working

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Shayna Meyer, May 1, 2018.

1. Shayna Meyer

Shayna Meyer Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Hello!

So I have a boer buckling that is 5 days old today. Since day 2 he has been breathing fast (so much so that his nostrils flare). And to be honest, he may have been breathing fast the whole time and I just missed it at the beginning. His temp has consistently stayed between 102-103, he gets up to drink frequently. And honestly, for the most part, acts very normal. The only things different about him are that, he's not lethargic, but lazy - if that makes any sense at all? He doesn't get up and bounce around like the other buckling his age. He will just get up, go eat for a few sucks, then lay back down, and repeat. Oh and he always sticks his tongue out (and leaves it out for a bit) after nursing, but maybe that doesn't mean anything.

Last night was his second dose of 1/2 cc of baytril and yesterday doc had me give him 1/4 cc of banimine to pep him up a bit - which worked! He's been up bouncing around, but still heavy breathing.

I read somewhere that sometimes fluid can get in the lungs, but not be enough to cause an infection. Rather, just enough to "take up space" in the lungs, and cause labored breathing until it is reabsorbed by the body....

Has anyone seen this before? What should I be doing to help him get over whatever this is?

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Does he mouth breathe? Couple things could be heart murmur or choanal atresia (blocked nasal passage).

3. Shayna Meyer

Shayna Meyer Member

Nov 18, 2017
    I've only ever seen him mouth breath for a couple seconds and then back to breathing through his nose.

4. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    How is your buckling?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  6. Shayna Meyer

Shayna Meyer Member

Nov 18, 2017
    Sorry I totally spaced replying...

He's completely normal as of now. I'll still catch him breathing faster than the rest but otherwise he runs, jumps and plays like everyone else, eats and acts totally normal. To be honest, if I hadn't of brought him and his mom in (because it got suddenly cold after a few warm days - such is life in Nebraska) I can't say as I even would have otherwise noticed a problem. He's also a nice, large, well built little guy. So really he's otherwise growing and acting normal so far.

I tend to think he was just born with something wrong on the inside (that hasn't reared it's ugly head yet) like a hole in the heart, asthma (idk i'm assuming any animal can have this?) or something of that nature. But I have few options for vets in my area, and all know nothing about goats. They would be more likely to *accidentally* kill him than make him better in my opinion. :(

But thank you for checking in on him :)

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Glad he is OK.

Yeah, I know how you feel.