kid breathing ??

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Mar 20, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    My boar oprah had a little buckling this am around 7 am- he's cute has the pygmy dished face and boar ears. Anyway, mom wanted nothing to do with him, I let it go about a half hour before I went in and dried him off. She also ignored after birth. I held her several times today and let him drink which he's doing fine at and she seems to maybe getting better. Anyway, he has been open mouth breathing all day. This am I used the bulb in nose and mouth and got nothing. If I hold his mouth shut he will breath out of his nose. He has a good set of lungs when he screams. I can't tell if he's raspy, screams when I try to listen. I have been in my shop but checking on him about every 2 hours. I will get a temp in a few. Is there anything I should do?? He was either born on day 146 or 139. We didn't think the buck got her the first time and a week later she stood for him again so not really sure. She started showing signs of labor 2 days ago, but just stretching and stuff. I can't believe she only had 1 she was big. Well if anyone thinks I should do anything please let me know. I will post my cell when I head back out.

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    How warm is the barn? Sometimes being too warm will cause a kid to pant. If his lungs sound clear he is likely going to be fine, but I would keep monitering him just to be sure, he may still have a bit of birth mucous in his throat and it will clear out on its own.....I do hope that mom' mother instinct kicks in soon.

3. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    ITs actually really cooled off, probably only 40ish.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Yeah...I forgot that you're a "neighbor"...lol

I would just watch him and make sure that he is eating, the breathing should be normal within the next few hours.

5. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    Yep I agree. My last attempt to post on this went into digital limbo somewhere, but make sure kiddie gets colostrum soon.

6. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    He's gotten plenty of colustrum, I have had to hold her, but started this am after he was dried off and I have been holding her about every 2 hours to let him drink, he does that with no problem. At first she really fought me but the last time she was better. But she won't lick him or anything. When I held him up to her she turned her head. He drinks for about a minute or more each time.

7. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    souds ok for kid, but mom has an issue. Why not bottle feed?

8. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    She's a FF so I am hoping she gets better. If not I will attempt to bottle feed, I have the bottles and nipples, just no formula. Well I am going back out if anyone thinks this is something I need to worry about and do something fast you can call me. 717-870-8862. or text me, either works. Also going to get his temp

9. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Keep up the good work. Keep working with mom she just might change her mind, I have seen it done before.

10. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    FF.... some need to be taught to be momma's ...she isn't use to the kid at first with nursing and some will act like that..they are confused and don't know what to do...A little direction from you will help her.....she does sound like she is improving each time....I would keep doing ..what you are doing... :wink: ....at this point ...I don't see the need to bottle feed ...unless the kid isn't getting enough....make sure you have them in a small pen for bonding ...that is very important...no one else in the pen with them....if others are around....she will get distracted....from her kid...

Like everyone said..... just keep an eye out on the kid.... sounds OK right now...

Has she dropped her afterbirth?

11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    yep she dropped the after birth about 30 minutes after he was born, but showed no interest in it. She didn't smell it or try to eat it or anything. But I just came back in and she let him nurse with out me holding her and even licked his bottom a little. I carried him to her and just sat him down so I think that part will be ok. She hasn't seemed like anything was wrong, or that she's still in labor so I guess it was only one in that big body. Oh and his temp was 101. I carried him around in my sweatshirt for awhile. He doesn't seem to be shivering. And then the fun began. Anyone want a bad colt? guess he didn't like the order I was bringing them in and tried to jump the fence but instead landed on top and kind of flipped over it. Then took off. Luckily for the barn. But hubby is going flip when he sees the fence. Grrrr. :hair:

12. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Sounds like the little buckling will be fine with his momma, she's not trying to hurt him and is eating without you holding her......sounds like you have your hands full! Sorry, had to LOL at the image of the colt somersaulting over the fence.

13. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am glad mama instinct... kicked in ....that is great..... :greengrin: :leap:

Sorry about the colt...they can be very unpredictable.... :shocked:

14. Thanatos

Thanatos New Member

Mar 16, 2009
    Lake Ariel, Pa
    :leap: yay mom. oh and you did good to :thumb:

15. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Yeah, she seems to be doing so much better with him. She's still not 100% sure that she likes him I can tell, when he comes close she puts her head down in a challenging way but then backs up. Sorry I worried( again) for nothing. And yes liz it was funny watching him tumble, after I knew he was ok.
    Thanks everyone for your help.

16. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I am so happy mom decided to be a good mom. Sometimes it is a little overwhelming, and they just need to shown a few things.

I hope that colt is going to be ok. How old is he?

17. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    UPdate, when I went out to check at 5:30 and woke baby up he bawled and oprah actually talked to him, then he went over and got some milk. So I think they will be ok. He is still open mouth breathing sometimes, but his lungs don't sound raspy.
    The colt( chesney) seems fine, he's just been full of himself. Hes almost 1.

18. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Glad to hear about the baby and mom taking him. :leap:

As for the colt, I believe they are a lot like children. If a child was to fall like that they would be fine, but if we fell like that, well that would be a different story. :scratch:

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is terrific news..... :leap: