The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Where's me?!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I feel like there's questions I should probably seek answers to that I haven't yet found through Google or my goat book that I have. So I'm gonna compile a little list. Please just answer what you can, if you can, and if pictures need provided for any reason, please let me know. Note: They seem to be doing just fine on it and I was successful with Waldo when I had him, but if I need to change something, I would rather know by information versus error. They do not actively have any health issues that I know of.

1. My kids will be ten days old come February 20th. They are Boers. How much should they be eating and how often? If I follow Manna Pro's packaging instructions, it claims 12 onces a feeding, 24 ounces total. I have, instead, been feeding them several small meals throughout the day, usually giving a slightly larger amount before bed time and first thing in the morning.
  2. Is it correct I should have them taken in for shots at about three months? If so, what kind? To be frank, I do not think the farmer takes these measures, so I am considering doing it myself before returning them.
  3. Waldo died of worms because the farmer uses a kind they are apparently resistant to. He refuses to change, so my mother and I will be seeking something better to give them prior to their return to the farm. What brand would you recommend to someone living in the Midwest, USA?
  4. Last time, the farmer gave us the feed he gives his goats to wean Waldo off onto. Should I continue this pattern, or should I try to find a product I find more suitable for weanlings?

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
1) how much do they weigh? Their size determines how much milk should be fed. And I think 3x a day is fine for the bottle.

2) at three months your kids can get cdt shots (to prevent overeating disease).

3) have a fecal done to see what worms you are dealing with. Then choose a wormer that covers those parasites...make sure to do cocci counts too. What wormer is currently used?

4) what's in the feed he uses? How much protein?

·
Where's me?!
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
1) how much do they weigh? Their size determines how much milk should be fed. And I think 3x a day is fine for the bottle.
Actually saw a math formula in another thread, for how much to feed based on weight. Their weight times 16? I don't know if our crappy scale will work well enough to get an accurate weight. D:

3) have a fecal done to see what worms you are dealing with. Then choose a wormer that covers those parasites...make sure to do cocci counts too. What wormer is currently used?
To be honest, I'm not sure. Ma told me that if I went to a specific store, they'd know what I would need, but since Ma doesn't seem to know as much as she used to, I kinda wanted a second opinion. I'll be sure to ask him if he comes in to the store tomorrow.

4) what's in the feed he uses? How much protein?
Again, I'm not sure. Some sweet feed and pellet mixture. I tried to ask him last year, what he used, but he refused to tell me. :/

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.