Kid conformation- opinions needed!

Discussion in 'Beginners Goat Raising' started by GloryBeHomestead, May 8, 2020.

1. GloryBeHomestead

GloryBeHomestead Member

May 3, 2020
    California
    5AE266BA-49BC-4725-9B11-8C34257A6202.jpeg CE153BC9-8D81-4F6C-B602-06FF838925C2.jpeg Hi everyone, I am really loving one of our NDG doelings that was born in February. She has the best personality and is adorable. But- we really need to make room for some more milkers.
    Her mom is sweet but small and difficult to milk by hand because of teeny tiny teats. Also, the momma doe is 6-7 years old (we were told). I already trained one old goat to the stand and I don’t want to do that again anytime soon! The Buck is a sweetie pie- quiet and keeps to himself. Even gentle with the babies! (He’s separate now to be safe). Makes nice babies I think but I’m a beginner goat lady. We were told he could be registered but the old owner couldn’t locate his papers. They were just pets really.

Anyway- I’ve blabbered on enough. Can some of you more experienced goat keepers check out our baby doe, Jasmine’s conformation? We were thinking of selling her mom and her as a pair and get a Nubian momma for more milk. But I LOVE this silly little Jasmine doeling. Do you think she is worth keeping? She is a sturdy, square little thing so far. Thank you for any help!

Last edited: May 8, 2020
  2. Morning Star Farm

Morning Star Farm Well-Known Member

Sep 26, 2018
    It is difficult to tell what they will grow into when they are young, and tough to see when she's standing at an angle like that but those bouncy kids can be tough to photograph! From what I can see though, the main thing she lacks is dairyness. She needs a lot more length. She appears to be fairly wide and straight though.

If you want more milk I would go with the Nubians. Do you know anything about the sire's dam of your Nigerian buck or seen what kind of udder she had? If she didn't have tiny teats, the doeling has a better chance of being eaiser to milk, but generally it takes a few generations to fix.

3. GloryBeHomestead

GloryBeHomestead Member

May 3, 2020
    California
    Hi, thank you for writing back! I was worried no one would see this because after I posted it I realized there was a whole forum for conformation ‍♀️ Oops!
    Thank you for your opinion! It’s super helpful. That’s what I saw on her too- level back and some decent width. I’m so new at this! Ok- so length is very important too. That is good to know. Her mom’s teats and udder are small, unfortunately. I suppose it best that if we are serious about milking to move her along to another home. We are making room for a Nubian doe by selling her mother since I can’t milk her, so I guess it does make the most sense to sell her as well.

4. GloryBeHomestead

GloryBeHomestead Member

May 3, 2020
    California
    Lol I do not know how to get the emojis to work on my phone

5. GloryBeHomestead

GloryBeHomestead Member

May 3, 2020
    California
    This is her dam and her udder. Am I off on my assessment of the mom? Maybe I could train her to a small milking machine? I’m not sure if it’s worth it.

(I have noticed her coat looking rough, and because of this awesome community and shared goat wisdom, I have some better supplements on the way!)

Attached Files:

6. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    Yes, length is very important. And no, I think you're right about the dam. I would have trouble milking that udder! Lol Her teats aren't terribly small, but they are off to the side which makes it much harder to hand milk. You could most likely get her to accept a machine, but for that amount of milk, I don't think it would justify the cost of a machine. The doe's rear udder does have good height, but she lacks attachment and capacity. Overall she's a solid doe, but also lacks length and dairyness. Hard to tell with her head down, but I think her top line could be more level and she could probably be tighter in her front end too.

Have you seen the Nubian doe? They can have pretty small teats too. I actually bought a milking machine because my heaviest milking Nubians were difficult in that way. They can give you a lot of milk though! Then it's time to make cheese, butter, ice cream, etc....!

GloryBeHomestead likes this.
  7. GloryBeHomestead

GloryBeHomestead Member

May 3, 2020
    California
    Thank you so much for all of your help!!!
    I am excited to start looking for a Nubian doe :) :)

8. Morning Star Farm

Sep 26, 2018
    You are welcome! Good luck in your search! There are a lot of nice Nubians in California!

GloryBeHomestead likes this.
  9. R.Williamson

R.Williamson Well-Known Member

Mar 21, 2019
    South Carolina
    Sorry I am not very good on critiques but he sure is a cute lil guy.

10. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Really still need to see sire/dam and set up pics.......

11. HungryFox

HungryFox Well-Known Member

Feb 6, 2020
    New England
    Retaining the doeling I would base off what the sire could potentially bring for genetics.
    Cannot see dams medial ligament, not best view of teats either. If you have not been milking her and only leaving the doeling on, her udder never showed you capacity.

If you are really wanting to head towards dairy capability, these 2 won't have it. Enough milk for a small family, possible. For some people, that's all they want! If bigger better dairy quality is your goal, I would look at other goats wether you retain these girls or not.