Kid down on pasterns, what to do?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by kiska200, Feb 27, 2010.

1. kiska200

kiska200 Guest

Feb 26, 2010
    My nubian gave birth to a beautiful single doe yesterday. It is her second kid. The babies feet are bent down. Looks like a horse that hasn't had it's hooves trimmed in a long time and is down on it's pasterns. Front are worse than the back. It is standing and nursing well. Walks a little then lays down. This is only my second year of having goats. Very worried. Will they get stronger on their own. What can I do?? Mom and kid look and act very healthy outside this problem. Please help. Candy

2. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Re: EMERGENCY

Is the baby walking on it's knuckles in the front? Could be contracted tendons...working with them to straighten them helps...as far as the weak passterns, I'm not sure if selenium deficiency would be the cause or not.

3. kiska200

kiska200 Guest

Feb 26, 2010

She is not walking on her knuckles, the ankles are bent the other way. Legs are straight until you get to the ankles. She is walking on her hooves, the ankles are bent, which makes her less sturdy, but still getting up nursing, moving around and acting like a kid, except for laying down more often, but getting up and going. Thankyou for replying so fast.

4. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA

Sometimes, making a splint type thing out of a stiff material will help strengthen the joints, cardboard TP rolls work with vet wrap over it. As long as she is able to stand and nurse, she may recover on her own, could have been from the way she was positioned in utero too.

5. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Try just giving her a shot of BoSe. That should help her. I wouldn't splint yet, splinting usually does more harm than good in a case like this. She needs to be walking around strengthening things.

(Hope you don't mind I moved your post from Emergency so people would see it. ;) )

6. nutmegfarm

nutmegfarm New Member

Dec 22, 2009
    NE Ohio
    Nubians are large boned goats, so it takes them a few days to get all their strength and such. It happens to large babies all the time and a little Bo-Se should help.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I totally agree with everyone.... the baby will be OK ...with a little time... :hug: :wink:

8. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    I would make a little splint. Take a papertowel, wrap it around the ankle so they are straight, then take duct tape and wrap it over the papertowel, but make sure it's not to tight, just enough to keep the ankles straight up.