kid fuzz

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by AlaskaBoers, Jul 17, 2009.

1. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    my goat kids grow their soft fuzzy winter coat in july apparently. I have the fair next month and am wondering what I can do about the kid fuzz, It's not even white, kinda off creamy white, which doesnt make them look good at all, it doesnt wash...its like cashmere.

Even the rich brown has been 'drowned out by the fuzzy-ness'

2. Anna

Anna New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    Fayette, AL
    I had a show in Feb. and my kids were REALLY "fuzzy". If there was something I could have tried I would have done it!! We had to show clip them with sheep shearers. LOL. My nubian babies will sometimes have that fuzzy under coat as kids through the summer too. I just brush them out good with doggie slicker brush(designed to get into the under coat)to get any of the looser hair out. Other than that, not much else you can do that know of.

3. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    oh....darn!
    thanks though

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    can you clip them down? or is that a no no for boer showing?

5. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    I did clip them this spring, and the fuzz is extra through there....I try clipping in down again..its on zenith and on solaris ( who I re-named again..matanuska) and it will be manageable by the time the fair starts.

6. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    Leave it in some areas to hide any flaws or faults? :scratch:

7. AlaskaBoers

AlaskaBoers New Member

May 6, 2008
    Wasilla Alaska
    its just growing on zeniths belly and back.it starts at the withers and ends near the hips. Mats is just on her butt :)..i suppose i'll just leave it..calypso has this until she was around a yr old and then it just shed off.

8. sealawyer

sealawyer New Member

May 31, 2009
    Dew, Texas
    That's what I'm thinking. Unless you are showing them, leave it be. If you are, then shear them down to the short hair, we use a #10 oster blade and leave some on, not slick sheared like a market wether. Look at the wethers and doelings on our web site and you can see what I'm talking about. Our goats get a scruffy, thick hair coat around christmas when it starts to get cold and then shed it around April fools day. It may be that they aren't warming up enough for their bodies to shed the hair. Does that make sense?