Kid gets stiff when feeding and walks backwards.

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by 42Jules, Jul 28, 2010.

1. 42Jules

42Jules New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Golden Ears (buck) who went to the vet and was diagnosed with septic arthritis is very hard to get to feed off his mum. We made a small mobile milking device which his mum now happily hops onto and even fits her horns between the rails! Amazing in only a week or so. She will now stand anywhere, so I can sit in my chair and attach bub. Goats are amazing!

Golden ears is still on antibiotics and is slowly getting better, however I have to open his mouth to attach him to mum. It is a bit of a battle to get the teat in his mouth, but once he gets going he does all right. However, he is very stiff in the legs and actually pushes himself backwards. He does now get under mum and search for the udder but never seems to find it (hope he will in time).

But could anyone please suggest how and what might be the cause of this behaviour? He keeps his legs rigid when starting, and it is a chore to get him going. After a while he pushes off (he may have just had enough). I have milked mum after he has finished and he must be getting a good feed, but it is just the fact it requires me to hold him there. I loosen my gentle hold after a while and he sucks on, but he rolls around and is stiff and then pushes away.

He is going to be a cuddly adult!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    was mom tested for CAE?

I have never had this issue before so I can even imagine it - very strange

3. 42Jules

42Jules New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Not that I am aware, unless Vet sent a sample. But he did identify the septic arthritis I think via a microscope. We both thought of CAE when I took the kid to him. I will ask next time I call with the results of the antibiotic treatment. Could this be part of CAE, I have no experience of the disease at all.

4. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Septic arthritis...did he have an umbilical infection or something?

5. SDK

SDK New Member

Jun 26, 2008
    Yucaipa ca
    if he's having trouble, why not bottle feed him?

6. 42Jules

42Jules New Member

Jul 21, 2010
    Yes, he had an umbilical infection. Bottle feeding is the last thing I want to do because there are many other kids - I have milked out his mother and given him the milk but am now going out there several times a day and attaching him to his mother. He gets quite enthusiastic about it and hopefully will work it out for himself in time. His mother is hysterically funny, going from a really shy, had to be lifted onto the milking trolley situation and now hops up there all by herself and calls out to me!

But I worry about the kid's behaviour and wonder if anyone else has had a similar experience and how they coped with it.

7. cmjust0

cmjust0 New Member

Oct 8, 2009
    Since we're basically dealing with the effects of a condition called "Joint Ill", it seems to me the only thing to do here is try and keep him alive and fed long enough to get him cured of it.

You mention he's on antibiotic...what's he on, and what's the current dosage? Also, has he had any kind of anti-inflammatory like banamine? If not, I think that might be helpful.. Not would it reduce his pain, but also a lot of the inflammation. Talk to the vet about it...he may very well limber up a bit with some banamine in him.

The reason I ask about dosages on antibiotics is because...well...lots of times, when folks say their vets have their goats on antibiotics, the dosages are considerably lower than optimal. Good news is that it's more often than not the right antibiotic for the task, though. :)