The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just down getting water buckets and filling them up. I heard a kid scream so I ran back to see what happened and found one of my 6 week old kids hanging upside down on the fence. I grabbed her and got her down, the most she was possibly hanging there was 30 seconds. She must have tried to jump the fence to follow me. Both of her back legs were caught but I think she is favoring one of them now. Nothing is noticeable wrong with the leg and she’s not screaming in pain or anything. She’s still following me around running and jumping. I can just see she might not be putting her full weight on that leg when she’s standing still. This just happened like 10 minutes ago. Is there anything I should do or look out for?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I was just down getting water buckets and filling them up. I heard a kid scream so I ran back to see what happened and found one of my 6 week old kids hanging upside down on the fence. I grabbed her and got her down, the most she was possibly hanging there was 30 seconds. She must have tried to jump the fence to follow me. Both of her back legs were caught but I think she is favoring one of them now. Nothing is noticeable wrong with the leg and she’s not screaming in pain or anything. She’s still following me around running and jumping. I can just see she might not be putting her full weight on that leg when she’s standing still. This just happened like 10 minutes ago. Is there anything I should do or look out for?
This might be useful information Diagnosing Sprains, Breaks, and Foot Abcesses
I had a 3 week old doeling get her leg caught in a shelter. She favored it for maybe 30 minutes and then was fine after that. If the kid is putting some weight on the leg it probably isn't badly hurt. Just watch for swelling.

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
If nothing is noticeably swollen or broke. Just keep an eye on her. If things seem painful she can have a baby aspirin to help but I wouldn't give anything stronger. You want some reminder to take it easy

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all so much for your advice. Thankfully the kid has been just fine. I think I’m more shook up by the experience than she is. I’m so thankful I was outside when it happened! The way she was hanging, it was likely that she could have broken her back. This is going to be a troublesome kid! Now she thinks she can get out, and even though I’ve fixed the “short” gate that she tried to jump over. She’s finding other ways to get out. 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Super Moderator
32,155 Posts
Lol..oh some like to be "that kid" in the hood 😅 is there things for her to climb and play in? Maybe redirect her attention?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.