Kid goat needs help...I think :)

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dl120077, Aug 12, 2017.

1. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Hello all,

I do not usually deal with goats so I have no clue if this is normal or not. However, extraordinary circumstances has brought this animal along with 17 others to me.

Brief history of what I know:
    Animals were confiscated. Person jailed. GW brought animals to me.

Only one goat and she is young. Probably 2 -3 months old. Had to have been bottle fed because bottles and Ultra 24 formula were brought to me. This is the only animal confiscated that could have been on this bottle and milk.

I have raw goat milk I use for the others animals I deal with so she will more than likely be moved to raw goat milk as well.

She is the only animal out of the 18 that seems to have problems. I have only had them a few hours so I will have to monitor them to make certain.

The issue is, kid's poop is clear jelly with 'tinges' of blood. GW said upon confiscation, their was brown watery poo in the kennel she was in.

Any clue here. I do not have access to a vet until Tuesday (closed Sunday and Monday's) so if this is something that is common and any of you know what to do, I probably have the antibiotic/necessary items on hand as I deal with a vast amount of animals.

She is drinking milk for me. She was brought in butting me and absolutely starving. I mixed the formula 1/2 strength as a precaution.

Solids I have not tried yet. With what I feel is apparent Rumen issues, I do not want to give solids since i have no clue if she has had them or what she has had. I do not want to further upset things possibly introducing new solid items.

TYIA

Oreosmom and capracreek like this.
  2. goathiker

goathiker I'm watching you

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    First off, move her to goats milk now, just give her small bottles to start and work the amount up.
    Second, give her some nice grass hay and also a little alfalfa now. It's really bad to keep a rumen empty ever.
    Can in ask where you are? Most of us on here have the coccidiosis meds she desperately needs.

In a world of ordinary people a superman is not a king.
    He cannot rule the world.
    He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

3. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    I agree with goathiker- milk, good hay and treat her for cocci. Cocci is life threatening and will take an animal over night.

Also, check her for anemia and get iron into her if her eye membranes are pale.

4. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Yes, I know Rumen's well :)

I am moving her to raw goat milk next feeding.

She has Timothy hay and chopped alfalfa in her pen. She is uninterested.

I have all sorts of meds on hand being that I deal with orphaned animals on a daily bases.

What do I need for a goat to treat coccidiosis? I am assuming the same for wild animals? Sulpha based

Here is what I have on hand I just need the goat dosage if any of these will work:

She weighs 19 lbs

Oral:
    Smp/tmz suspension
    Albon
    Neomycim

Injection: ( probably will not help much but I will list them)
    Naxcel
    Nuflor Gold
    PenG

If any of this will work, which one and what is the dosage you use for goats?

TY

5. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    TY

She is not pale. First thing I checked was her eyes and gums. Nice and pink

Oreosmom likes this.
  6. goathiker

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Albon 12% 1 cc per 5 lbs day one then 1 cc per 10 lbs days 2 thru 5.

He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

7. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    Give her some b complex and probiotics just in case she's old enough for hay but not eating it for some reason. Is she drinking her bottles ok? Get a fecal done on Tuesday when the vet opens.

8. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    TY
    TY this is the same dosage I use for all the other animals so goats are the same then :)

9. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    She drank her milk earlier perfectly fine. She was starving. Not sure when she had a feeding before i got her. When the GW brought the animals to me she came out of her kennel and was butting me. She was VERY hungry. What is the usual feeding amount and how often for goats. With other animals this size I feed 8 ounces 3x day. Same with goats???

I use Fastrack dispersible pro-biotics with all of my other animals.I checked their label and it is labeled for goats as well so I put some in her bottle when she drank earlier.

I have vitamin b complex. I will give her some.I was afraid of overloading her with too much at once. Should I give it with her next feeding? I am starting Albon as soon as I type this.

I also have some Nutri Drench. Does she need this?

I just fear overloading too much too quick.

10. goathiker

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    In goats thiamine must be injected. You want the one that says "fortified" or "plus" both have an good thiamine content. Goat injections are done SQ for everything except hormones. I do them over the ribs.

He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

11. goathiker

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    In don't use nutri- drench so won't comment on that!
    You are smart not to overload but vit B and probiotics/electrolytes won't hurt anything.

He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

12. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    I have had Nutri Drench help save a many a animal that has been brought in to me. Especially the flood babies. I will hold off on it for now. She is not 'down' so to speak. She just has a bad gut.

The B bottle says fortified.....not complex SMH hahaha

B is the same dose as my other rehab animals this size such as a fawn?

I go the Albon down her. She hated it but realized she had no choice in the matter :)

13. goathiker

Apr 13, 2011
    Oregon Coast Range
    Fortified B is 1 cc per 20 lbs but can't really be overdosed easily.

He is simply alone...
    Dean Koontz

Oreosmom likes this.
  14. Oreosmom

Oreosmom mom of 2 little goats and 2 wonderful dogs / indoo

Nov 18, 2016
    So. Oregon
    At three months she could use being dewormed and maybe some probiotics?? As much alfalfa as she will eat. So small it's hard. Good luck!

wishawayfarms and capracreek like this.
  15. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    I wouldn't give nutridrench unless she really goes down. It's best for giving the extremely sick goats a boost. It burns their throats.

16. capracreek

capracreek Active Member

Apr 5, 2016
    Missouri
    Bless you for stepping in for those in need. Hope the little goat is better now and eating!

17. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    A good bit of her Alfalfa was gone this morning. That's a plus.

On the downside, nothing but brown slimy poo in her kennel this morning. Poor baby. She almost needed a complete bath. Come on ALBON and B. I checked on her at 3 am. All was good. By 5 am she was standing in a pool of runny poo. At least it was not clear jell with blood. So, yet another plus I guess.

It breaks my heart when we get animals like this in. If you are going to have them, at least take care of them especially feed them the RIGHT things and get them medical care when necessary. This person had 18 wild and domestic animals inside the home. Crazy stuff.

Some of this could be stress from yesterday as well. From the sound of it, it was complete Chaos.

Oreosmom likes this.
  18. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Yes, down animals is what I usually use it for. It has helped bring back many a animal that was down on intake. Especially the flood babies.

She ate Alfalfa during the night. Drank her milk this morning. Running around like a wild child :) Same as yesterday except today her poo is brown slimy instead of white jelly with blood. Hopefully Albon and B will get us to Tuesday when my vet opens.

Oreosmom likes this.
  19. dl120077

dl120077 New Member

Aug 3, 2015
    Thank you. It is what I do :)

She is the absolute sweetest thing I have ever seen.

I have to release the wild animals so attachment is not something I do. I keep them wild. In the cases where people have made pets out of them, I get them back to the wild state best I can and get them back in their natural habitat as quickly as possible.

This is my first domestic animal I have taken in. In the 9 years i have been doing this, they have all been wild.

She is the absolute sweetest thing I have ever seen.

This little girl, well, she is domestic :) and I already feel that bond building. She is already seeing me as mom. Follows me step for step during her out of kennel time. I went and sat in my chair this morning. She followed me and plopped down right across my feet. I am in love :) :) :)

I never name the animals but this little girl has a name :) Isabella fits her perfectly :)

She is going to be a permanent fixture in this home.

One question... Goats, are they herd animals like fawns. Will she be ok living here by herself or does she need other goats around her to be happy and thrive?

20. Suzanne_Tyler

Jul 19, 2014
    NC
    It would be best to find her another goat companion.