The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I'm new to goats as of not quite two months ago. I have a mama Nigerian Dwarf and her kid. I'm not sure if there is such thing as a growth guide for kids, (eg. should weigh x much at one month, y much at two months, etc.). I've been judging by the kid's apparent health--glossy coat, bright eyes, salmon eye membranes, regular berries, active nature, curiosity, developing a rumen, etc. rather than worrying about her actual weight. But I read that people give growing kids grain, which makes sense. I have only been giving a little grain at milking time to lure her away from the milking area so her mama and I can be left in peace. I don't think kiddo gets one eighth of a cup of grain a day, though she has all the alfalfa hay she wants, water, and loose dairy mineral (with a little extra copper added, because both goats had been turning a bit red and starting to fishtail). Now that I think she's more or less weaned (mama goat keeps shying away every time she tries to nurse), should I be giving grain, and if so, how much for a 4 month old? How much should an ND kid weigh at different ages?
Thanks!

1 - 1 of 1 Posts