Kid help needed for a newbie!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by mkmjmom, Mar 16, 2009.

1. mkmjmom

mkmjmom New Member

Mar 10, 2009
    I posted this in the kidding corral, but I think maybe I should have posted here...I'm new to the Goat Spot! Thank you for any help you can offer!

We are brand new to goat ownership and need some help with our wether kid. We brought him home 2 days ago and haven't had the easiest time getting him to eat (since he was still used to his mom,) but it's getting better at each feeding.

1. He is about a month old, so I am wondering how much he should be taking at each feeding and how many feedings he should get per day in order for him to grow and stay healthy.

2. Also, how much grain and hay should I try to get him to eat? He nibbles at it, but won't take much yet.

3. Finally, I am a little concerned about his left eye. It was clear on Saturday, but yesterday and today (Monday) we have noticed a slight yellowish discharge and crust around his eye, and it is slightly puffy compared to his right eye. I am thinking blepharitis, but I really don't know. What remedies can I try, and do I have to get them from a vet, or can I get them at the local feed store? Thank you for any help you can give!

2. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    welcome.... :wave:

I deleted your same post from the kidding koral.....

What breed is the kid?

I usually have a creep feeder ..so that the kids can go into... at anytime... free choice hay /grain...the kid will eventually increase .... eating....

For the eye....
    Put on some gloves,
    Clean up the eye and remove the gunk .....
    Have you looked in the eye to see if it has a scratch or foreign object in there? Or any ulcerations?
    Check the 3rd eye lid....
    I would maybe put teramicin ointment in it..if it doesn't improve within a few days you may have to have a vet look in it....... :hug:

3. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome!

At his age, being taken from his mom is very stressful and can cause an issue with him taking a botttle.
    4 weeks old, he should get 7-8 ounces every 2-3 hours and offer him a pail of water...he will learn to drink from a bucket and the hay is something he needs to get his rumen going.

I agree with Toth, cleanse his eye with warm water and check to see if he scratched it, terramycin ointment is very good for any kind of eye infection and it can be purchased at Tractor Supply.

I assume that he is an only "kid"...it would be best for him to have a goat buddy, goats are herd animals and thrive with their own kind as friends. He will learn to be a goat as well and won't be as lonely.

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is the baby? :worried:

5. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I agree with the others. Be patient with him and he will learn to take that bottle. I have used a bottle feeder that I hang on the fence so she can have it when ever they want. I used it because she was the only one we had and a bucket was way to much for what we needed.
    Keep that eye clean. It could be allergies. If it does not clear up or gets cloudy, soak a tea bag in water and hold the bag to his eye for 15 minutes at least twice a day, rewetting the bag, then put the ointment in it after every time you do the tea bag. It is amazing how that heals things up.