Kid help please!

Discussion in 'Goat Management' started by PotterWatch, Mar 4, 2010.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    I no longer have goats of my own but today I brought home a 2wk old kid until my friend gets home tonight. The doe rejected him and he has been getting progressivly skinnier. My friend decided to take him home and bottle feed him. I have him until tonight though. I just gave him his first bottle and he downed it right quick (raw cow milk)! It was a 6oz bottle but he acts like he could drink more. How much should I be giving him and how often? Thanks for your help!

2. Mully

Mully New Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Mt Ulla , NC
    This is what I follow using cows milk:

* Day one- 6 oz. (per feeding) colostrum, every 4 hours.
    * Day two- 8 oz. (per feeding) colostrum/whole milk, 4 times a day
    * Day three- 10 oz. (per feeding) colostrum/whole milk, 4 times a day
    * Day four- 10-12 oz. (per feeding) colostrum/whole milk, 4 times a day.
    * For the next week- 10-12 oz. (per feeding) 4 times a day.
    * For the next 2 months- 10-12 oz. (per feeding) 3 times a day.
    * For the next 1 month- 10-12 oz. (per feeding) 2 times a day.
    * 10-12 oz. (per feeding) once a day for two weeks.

It is important that no more than 10 to 12 oz be given at one time, right now 4 times a day ...64 oz is way too much for one feeding ...it will do more harm than good

3. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    What breed of kid is this? If it is a nigi or a pygmy, bottles should be 4-5 oz every 4 hours . Starting at ex..... 8am 12 pm 4pm 8pm. This is from the Pygmy Goat Vet guide.

Feeding less more often would be ok too..ex. 3oz every 2-3 hours, never double the amount because the kid wants it...can cause problems.

4. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    It looks to be a Nubian mix.

Thanks for the advice! I did give him about 10oz of milk total for that first feeding. I really hope this little guy makes it. My friend just lost her three goats (some of my original goats that I sold to her), to a dog attack a few weeks ago. She helped this little one when the doe was having trouble pushing him out. If she were able to give this baby a chance, I think it would really be healing for her.

5. liz

liz Well-Known Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Go with the feeding amounts that Mully posted, seems like its more in amount, which would be best for a bigger breed.

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

agreed.

I would have him checked out for worms an coccidia too -- when under stress young kids are more susceptible to those internal parasites.

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch New Member

Jan 23, 2009
    So. California
    Thanks for all the information. She came to pick him up and he is already looking and acting better. I imagine he would have been dead within a few days if we hadn't intervened. When we first took him out of the pen with the other goats, he didn't protest at all. He wasn't nibbling on our hair or anything like most kids do. By the time she came to pick him up, he was chewing on anything that got near his mouth and acting like a normal kid. He didn't have the hollow look that he did back at the farm. I passed on all the information to my friend and I have high hopes that he will be just fine!
    :stars: