Kid in Critical Condition

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Caroline Jackson, Jul 28, 2020.

1. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    I have a kid that’s 2 days old and I’m serious condition. I noticed today he was pretty weak so I watched him for about an hour, took his temperature and it was 104, so I took him to the vet and they gave him banamine and another antibiotic. He improved for about 3 hours, nursed great, walked around good, etc. He just crashed about an hour ago and wouldn’t nurse, was curling to one side, etc. I tube fed him almost 2oz of milk earlier, gave him a dose of his antibiotic, and he’s resting now. His temperature is around 100 now but he’s so weak. I’m worried he won’t make it through the night.
    Is there anything I can do other than just watch him.

2. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    7DD17F67-788E-48BE-978D-9AA0E16F4E63.jpeg This is what he looks like now.

3. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Now that his temp is 100, he actually needs to be warmed up a bit. I'd also give him a B complex shot.

Jubillee likes this.
  4. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    I unfortunately don’t have any vitamin b complex. Is there a substitute?

5. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    Tractor Supply or any livestock store carries Vitamin B complex.
    I hope the little one makes it for you.

6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    Did the vet feel that it was neonatal pneumonia? Which antibiotic was given? Did they send you home with additional doses of Banamine?

The way he is sleeping in the photo, with the head curled to side is okay. I mean, I'm not there to see the weakness you are describing but that sleeping position itself is not concerning.

7. Michaela Van Mecl

Michaela Van Mecl Well-Known Member

Sep 3, 2018
    Northern Virginia
    Second the heat thing... it really can be a life safer. Did he get colostrum from mom the first day?

8. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Give baby a pinch of cayenne pepper in honey for quick vit B and energy. Is baby pooping? First thing I always check when baby won't eat or doesn't feel good..temp and poop. If you are not sure hes pooping, a gentle enema may help

NigerianDwarfOwner707 likes this.
  9. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    He unfortunately didn’t make it through the night. The antibiotics were banamine and I believe it was called ciftiflex. She said she suspected it to be failure of passive transfer and sepsis.

10. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    Yes, he got quite a lot of colostrum. His mom had thick, yellow, sticky colostrum. His brother is doing amazing so I know her colostrum was decent.

11. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    She suspected failure of passive transfer and sepsis. A blood infection in simple words.
    The antibiotics she gave me were banamine and ciftiflex (I believe that’s how it’s spelled). The ciftiflex I was supposed to give twice a day for a week. The banamine was only to be given up to twice a day if he was running a temp over 104.

12. Caroline Jackson

Caroline Jackson Member

Feb 11, 2020
    North Carolina
    I would’ve been rushing to tsc as fast as possible but it was almost midnight and nothing is open at that time of the night. Unfortunately he didn’t make it.

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  14. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    I'm sorry you lost him

15. Tanya

Tanya Well-Known Member

When you fight so hard for them and do your best, it is so difficult to watch them fade. I am sorry you went through that with him. He is in warm hands and happy he knew your love. I am so sorry for your loss.

16. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    So sorry for your loss. Sometimes, no matter what is tried, it just doesn't work. Glad the brother is doing well!