The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a kid that’s 2 days old and I’m serious condition. I noticed today he was pretty weak so I watched him for about an hour, took his temperature and it was 104, so I took him to the vet and they gave him banamine and another antibiotic. He improved for about 3 hours, nursed great, walked around good, etc. He just crashed about an hour ago and wouldn’t nurse, was curling to one side, etc. I tube fed him almost 2oz of milk earlier, gave him a dose of his antibiotic, and he’s resting now. His temperature is around 100 now but he’s so weak. I’m worried he won’t make it through the night.
Is there anything I can do other than just watch him.

·
8,197 Posts
Tractor Supply or any livestock store carries Vitamin B complex.
I hope the little one makes it for you.

·
Registered
11,199 Posts
Did the vet feel that it was neonatal pneumonia? Which antibiotic was given? Did they send you home with additional doses of Banamine?

The way he is sleeping in the photo, with the head curled to side is okay. I mean, I'm not there to see the weakness you are describing but that sleeping position itself is not concerning.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
Give baby a pinch of cayenne pepper in honey for quick vit B and energy. Is baby pooping? First thing I always check when baby won't eat or doesn't feel good..temp and poop. If you are not sure hes pooping, a gentle enema may help

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
He unfortunately didn’t make it through the night. The antibiotics were banamine and I believe it was called ciftiflex. She said she suspected it to be failure of passive transfer and sepsis.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Did the vet feel that it was neonatal pneumonia? Which antibiotic was given? Did they send you home with additional doses of Banamine?

The way he is sleeping in the photo, with the head curled to side is okay. I mean, I'm not there to see the weakness you are describing but that sleeping position itself is not concerning.
She suspected failure of passive transfer and sepsis. A blood infection in simple words.
The antibiotics she gave me were banamine and ciftiflex (I believe that's how it's spelled). The ciftiflex I was supposed to give twice a day for a week. The banamine was only to be given up to twice a day if he was running a temp over 104.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Tractor Supply or any livestock store carries Vitamin B complex.
I hope the little one makes it for you.
I would've been rushing to tsc as fast as possible but it was almost midnight and nothing is open at that time of the night. Unfortunately he didn't make it.

·
Registered
30,673 Posts
I'm sorry you lost him

·
Registered
3,614 Posts
When you fight so hard for them and do your best, it is so difficult to watch them fade. I am sorry you went through that with him. He is in warm hands and happy he knew your love. I am so sorry for your loss.

·
8,197 Posts
So sorry for your loss. Sometimes, no matter what is tried, it just doesn't work. Glad the brother is doing well!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts