The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a nigerian dwarf buckling that is about 5 1/2 weeks old. He is a triplet. Yesterday night, i noticed that he was limping on his back right leg and was acting a little lethargic. The joint is slightly swollen and he yells whenever the leg is touched, so i decided to splint the leg and pull him from the herd for the night. He was only in with other bucklings his age, and is on the bottle. this morning, he showed no change from the night before. Mid-day, I checked his temp again, and instead of being in the normal range like before, he has a 106.1 temp and acting more lethargic. I'm not sure what has caused this, or what I can do to treat him. thanks in advance.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I can't get him to the vet until the weekend. His fever has gone down to 104 after I gave him a B complex shot and has stayed at that temp since.

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Get him to the vet as soon as you can. The longer he goes without antibiotics, the less likely he will recover. Joint ill is very serious.

·
Super Moderator
83,152 Posts
High fever is not good to prolong if you cannot get him to the vet, you must start antibiotics right away.
The limping and fever can indicate infection or he has pneumonia and a hurt leg at the same time.

Have you felt his leg to see if there are any puncture wounds or swelling anywhere?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
Get him.on antibiotics asap...the sooner you start treatment the better outcome..even penicillin to start. .1 cc per 20# every 12 hours sub q .....start today

·
Registered
239 Posts
Any chance of snake bite or a weird bug bite he is reacting too? I'm new but LA 300 or 200 is available at farm stores or feed stores. My local feed store..NOT farm supply store is knowledgeable. If yours is I would suggest asking questions or getting on the tennesse meat goat site or fiasco site and pin point the best broad spectrum antibiotic for the possibilities of what may have happened.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Also, Banimin or the generic form prevail will get the fever down and stimulate the appetite. Vet may draw a shot for you if you can go get it. Electrolytes and probiotic are also something you can do. drench him with electrolyte solution for sure.

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
:-(

1 - 14 of 14 Posts