kid losing hair

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by dobe627, Feb 24, 2009.

1. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Ok so I am really starting to feel like a PITA with all the questions I have been asking since kidding started, Sorry all :wink: Anyway, my doeling, pygmy ( will be 3 weeks on thursday). She is either black or choclate( can't really tell) well since she was born she has had a thin coat, I just figured that she took after whom I believe to be her dad, hes mostly black and has always had a thinner coat. Well now she has lost hair. Mostly on her back legs but a few other places. When she was born her back hooves were curled under so she kinda drug her back legs for the first few days, shes fine now. She had some sores there so I put antibiotic oint on them. I figured from the scabs and stuff she would lose the hair there but on the one leg its the entire way around plus up the leg, to about the knee joint. The other leg not as bad but still some hair loss. Her brother and mom are perfectly fine with nice thick coats( I believe the brother has the other buck as his dad). I dusted her with DE just incase its mites or something( I can't see anything) Any ideas? suggestions?

2. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    That is a tough call seeing as how her brother and dam are fine. If it was a parasite, they would have them as well. It may be a mineral deficiency, with the problem she had at birth I would say it is likely selenium, vitamin E and copper. At 3 weeks old they would be eating what mom is eating, try putting some loose minerals at a level the kids can reach.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    If you have a black light of some sort, I would run that over her legs and see if anything illuminate.

If nothing, then I would have a skin scrape down to check for mites. Reason being is mites, such as demodex can effect only one animal. It is a mite that lives on everyone and everything, however it only becomes a problem when the immune system is down and they start going to town. With her having issues, this very well could be the case?

If you have a microscope at home I can walk you through the process and what to look for.

4. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    He he..I didn't know about that one Allison, Thanks! I figured mites to be like other "bugs" and affect all animals housed together. Learn something new everyday :greengrin:

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    wow...Allison...I never knew that either ...good to know... :)

6. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    humans even carry the demodex mange mite. If you did a skin scrape next to where your nose meets your face you will find them - gross I know! Trust me once I saw them under the microscope I thought I was going to hurl just thinking about it - LOL!

Demodex mites look almost like a tack - where sarcoptic mange (the one that spreads through everyone) looks like Aliens the movie. I swear that is where they got the idea for the movie!

7. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Allison, that is the only thing I could think of, I too worked in vet clinic and have seen both under a microscope, that makes your skin crawl. My micrscope broke and haven't had the money to replaec it yet. That was why I put the DE on her than took a cotton ball with some malasab spray and put it on her. Its way to cold or I would try to bathe her in a shampoo I have that worked on my rabbits. Its not ringworm, thats the only thing that I know of that shows up with a black lite( I think, but my brains not working right now). What do you all think of should try to do, I was thinking of the powder I have that I have used for lice but is she too young?? Its supposed to warm up later this week and can bathe her( that should be really fun-haha)
    Oh and for those that were following the thread about her eye, it cleared up just fine. Shes full of herself. I have found her on top of the hay feeder several times. Will drop minerals down where they can reach them. thanks everyone

8. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I know we treated demodex with ivomec injectable. But before pumping her full of that I would make sure that is what it is. I had to give it every 10 days.

Now, you can also try permectrin II for lice. Are you seeing any lice on her? IF I remember right it is 2.5 cc Permectin II to 1 quart of water. Put in spray bottle and go down her spine with it like you do with frontline. I squirt all my goaties once every 4-6 weeks with it during the cold months - as that is the only time I have seen them (from the straw bedding).

9. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Nope not seeing any lice, took her out in the sunlight and checked her( again really well) I did get a fairly decent pic I can email- sorry still can't post pictures, just can't figure out how to resize. I haven't wanted to do a whole lot to her becasue of being so young. The malasab spray was one I picked up when I worked at the vets. Its for ringworm, and fungal infections. But as I mentioned it doesn't look like any ringworm I have ever seen. I also put some of the shampoo on I used on the rabbits last summer. Just put it on a cotton ball and rubbed it on her legs which seem to be the worse spot. It was for mites. Oh the other thing is she doesn't seem to be scratching alot or doing the "lice dance", you know stomping her feet and stuff. I reallly wish I had a microscope. Any other suggestions I can try are appreciated. It doesn't seem to bother her as much as me. :shrug:

10. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
  11. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks your awesome, I will email them in a minute. You would think after all this time ( first on goat web then on GS) that I would have figured out how to resize- but nope I can't figure it out, and I have several programs that are supposed to be good. :shrug: Guess I am just not that bright. :GAAH: Thanks Cathy

12. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I just upload to photobucket so that I don't have to deal with that part of it!

13. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    here are the pics :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. dobe627

dobe627 Senior Member

Oct 16, 2007
    southeast PA
    Thanks Allison, the leg doesn't look so bad in the picture, its worse in person. But trying to get a pic of a 2 week old that was just left out of the stall isn't easy. And as usuall I am home alone, girls don't marry a trucker. The other picture was just to show it doesn't bother her, thats the top of the hay rack in her pen, I can't believe she got up there. Cathy.