The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always read that it is almost impossible to feel kid movement on the side of the goat where the rumen is. But I am certain today I felt a kid rolling on that side today. I was trimming Bailey's hooves. I often do the hind hooves pressed up close to the goat, it just works well for me. So my face was against her side, almost to her hind leg.

After a few seconds I felt something roll against my face through her fluff. It felt just like when I put my hands in front of her udder or on her other side and feel a kid moving past my fingers. I stopped trimming and just kinda sat there with my face against her, and I felt it again, like a knobby little hoof kicked against my cheek!

Do you think I just found a 'sweet spot' behind her rumen to feel the kids? She has 20 days to go, and is starting to look as wide as a house! She hid her pregnancy well until recently, only getting wide in the past few weeks. I can't wait to see what she has in there, I am guessing twins!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
It's got to be at least twins!:)

Every one has always told me "you'll never feel a baby on the left side"
My first doe I had pregnant, guess what!! Felt the babies!(;
Now in every single pregnant goat I always feel then there. Never the right now.
Course I always feel them when there's two or more.
You deff felt a baby:)
Yay!
Can't wait for twins or possibly triplets to come :)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Wow , now all this time I was trying to feel the babies I should have tried the right side ,lolol
Guess what Im going to do now :hugs: They never let me touch them for long , so it may never happen anyways , but still worth a shot :)
Thanks for posting this !!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Wow , now all this time I was trying to feel the babies I should have tried the right side ,lolol
Guess what Im going to do now :hugs: They never let me touch them for long , so it may never happen anyways , but still worth a shot :)
Goodluck tricky!!:)
Try moving their belly, like shake it a little. Wake them up:) they'll move!:)

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
I should try to video it because they dont let me touch too long ,mayb a second or two , lol So all Ive been doing is staring at their bellies , lol
Im afraid if I insist , it could upset them.
But heck , I need to feel the babies for gosh sakes !! :hugs:
Now I have to go shake them like a bottle of Pen G :eek:
Thats not going to go over too well with them :p

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
I should try to video it because they dont let me touch too long ,mayb a second or two , lol So all Ive been doing is staring at their bellies , lol
Lol you must tricky!! You must!! If not, something could be wrong. The mommys MUST let you feel babies kick!!(; haha.
Step over them and be facing their behind, squeeze their shoulders a little with your legs Nd there you go!:) go shake away.

·
Goats of da UP
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, the right side is the best side to feel a goat up for kids. That, and right in front of the udder. I usually wrap my arms around the goat, with one hand in front of the udder and one on the right side. I don't shake the goat, but sometimes jiggle their belly a little between my hands. Not much, I don't want to annoy the doe. That usually gets a kid rolling and kicking in response!

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Yep, the right side is the best side to feel a goat up for kids. That, and right in front of the udder. I usually wrap my arms around the goat, with one hand in front of the udder and one on the right side. I don't shake the goat, but sometimes jiggle their belly a little between my hands. Not much, I don't want to annoy the doe. That usually gets a kid rolling and kicking in response!
Lol yeah. I will bounce them like you do in a bounce test with my one doe but the other I have to shake her almost. She gets a big layer or fat or SOMETHING that I have to really move her in order for it to affect the babies.

·
owned by goats
4,614 Posts
Im a bit of a cynic, unlesshis doe is full term i think you probably felt rumen movement.

My etshpwed me how to feel for kids, she sad you feel for what you think is a kid then poke it, kids will usually poke you back but the rumen wont :)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Im a bit of a cynic, unlesshis doe is full term i think you probably felt rumen movement.

My etshpwed me how to feel for kids, she sad you feel for what you think is a kid then poke it, kids will usually poke you back but the rumen wont :)
I hope it won't poke you back. She'd be eating crickets!!(; lol that'd be creepy...
I've had kids poke/kick me on the left side!:)

·
Boers & Nubians
1,938 Posts
It wasn't until this year that I felt kids as if they were standing on my hand. Two 10 pound twins inside a pretty small momma. I felt them like CRAZY, and it was so cool that I screamed and did a happy-dance :) I'm not sure that there is a better feeling that a huge knee rolling over your hand like there is nothing in between but a thin sheet.

There were a few times when I felt them on the left side right in front of the udder. Now, I'm a firm believer in the kids-on-the-right-side deal, but if it IS near the udder, I can't say it couldn't happen.

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Well , that didnt go over too well , lol :(
I tried it and she wiggled herself out of my wrestling hold and I basically did a face plant as she turned and just stared at me saying "WTF" ! :p
WTF = What The Freak ;)

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
You can most definitely feel them on the left side. I did it all the time. You can, but that is not the babies "home". SO, it will most likely be easier with the right side. I saw a leg poke out about 3 inches on the left side. More than once!

·
Well, my username says it all... :)
2,751 Posts
It wasn't until this year that I felt kids as if they were standing on my hand. Two 10 pound twins inside a pretty small momma. I felt them like CRAZY, and it was so cool that I screamed and did a happy-dance :) I'm not sure that there is a better feeling that a huge knee rolling over your hand like there is nothing in between but a thin sheet.

There were a few times when I felt them on the left side right in front of the udder. Now, I'm a firm believer in the kids-on-the-right-side deal, but if it IS near the udder, I can't say it couldn't happen.
I've heard that a better feeling is when you feel a knee rolling over your hand inside YOURSELF. :shades:

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Well , that didnt go over too well , lol :(
I tried it and she wiggled herself out of my wrestling hold and I basically did a face plant as she turned and just stared at me saying "WTF" ! :p
WTF = What The Freak ;)
Awwww I'm sorry! Lol you'll be out there doing something so important you can't stop and you'll see a whole leg pop out!!:)
I was out with my precious baby (her actual name lol) and I felt the baby's head and saw the hooves on the left side!! It was in the diving position!!:D

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
I have been able to see some babies. our single kicked so much you could see little bumps where her legs were.:p

·
Registered
13,076 Posts
Im so jealous !!! :( I wanna feel the babies :tear: Im just afraid to stress them out trying to feel babies :( I just dont want to upset them too much and after yesterday they think I am a couple beers short of a six pack :p

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Im so jealous !!! :( I wanna feel the babies :tear: Im just afraid to stress them out trying to feel babies :( I just dont want to upset them too much and after yesterday they think I am a couple beers short of a six pack :p
Lol!!!!!
I'm sorry tricky!!<3
Come down and feel my girls' baby!!:)

·
Care giver of 4 milkers, one doeling, and One beau
915 Posts
tricky maybe sometime you will have a goat that lets you.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts