The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought an 8 - 9 week old goat kid (male) on the weekend and I don't think he is eating. He is in with 3 does and 3 other kids of similar age. They are out on pasture and getting some dairy ration morning and evening. The new kid was out on pasture and also had access to grain (the previous owners were unsure if he actually was eating any) Any ideas how I can stimulate his appetite/get him eating?

·
Registered
471 Posts
Was he weaned when you got him or on the bottle/dam? He's at the stage where most people would just start weaning them..if he was weaned abruptly he won't eat much if any because he's expecting milk and not used to grain. Is he grazing?

·
Super Moderator
58,234 Posts
First I think you need to feed him grain separate from the other goats to see if he is eating grain. Next you need to treat for coccidia since he is at the right age and also had a major change in his life. Then you need to sit out in the pasture for a couple of hours to see if he is grazing and how he is fitting in with the herd.

A shot of B complex and Probios daily for a week wouldn't hurt either.

·
Registered
29,989 Posts
these are good questions..at his age he will just now really beginning to do more than just sample hay graze and grain...how was he introduced to eating solid foods? why is he weened already?? is he gaining weight or looking undernourished? has he been wormed or fecal done for worms incudding cocci??

·
Super Moderator
82,257 Posts
Get a temp in case. If it is normal, maybe put him in with 1 buddy, that isn't really pushy and see if he will eat.
If the kid isn't eating and the temp is normal, I would get a fecal for worms and cocci. If it is clear, give fortified vit B complex shot 3cc's and probiotics, no grain until better. Do this for 3 days or so. Rumen may be off.

If the kid does indeed have worms or cocci, start treatment right away.

If temp is high, start antibiotics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you for all the tips. I do not believe he had been weaned but he has been dewormed. I did offer him a bottle yesterday and he guzzled about 2 oz (and destroyed the nipple!). He did eat some grain when I offered it to him separately and I did see him grazing so I am much less worried today. A big adjustment for him.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts