The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Alpine doeling at 3 1/2 months old. Have had her for 1 1/2 months now and she hasn't grown any taller. I have also noticed that her face is starting to grow crooked. I seen her mom and dad and a sibling when we got her (or so we were told). They was in good health and normal size for an Alpine. Now the lady we got her from did say that she was born during one of our snow storms here and found her out in the snow half dead. But they took her in and nurtured her back to health. She was bottle fed, but still around momma till about a week before we got her so we was told. Anyway she did point out she was smaller then her 1/2 brother, but I took that as because what happened to her. He was 1 month younger then she, but almost twice her size. I am beginning to wonder if I will ever be able to breed her if she doesn't grow any more, or can I try but like to a pygmy or a ND? Any hints ideas or suggestions that you have to help her grow or insight to what may be going on and etc is greatly appreciated!:confused::eek:

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
First I would take a fecal sample in to the vet to have tested and make sure they include coccidia.

Can you post a picture of the face?

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
I would be concerned over her face growing crooked...there is a condiditon called wry face that the face willl twist...here is a link Karen gave before on a llama with wry face...Hopefully this is not what is happening to your doe...
http://home.nas.com/jnkllamas/conformation.htm

I would still have a fecal done..worms stunt growth, expecially Cocci and Tape worm...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'll try to get a pic. I looked at the link you posted Happybleats its nothing like that. You can barely tell at the moment. The eyes are not even, but not by much and from under her eyes to the tip of her nose it is "slightly" turning to the side, you can see a slight curve. It wasn't like that when we got her.

She "shows" no signs of worm load in anyway, she is gaining a some weight in the mid section and around her hips, not near as thin as she was when we got her. But then she wasn't actually thin then either. Butt will look into the tests for both the Cocci and the worms.
Thank you so much
Laura

·
Registered
30,622 Posts
wry face comes in different degrees of severity.. born with symptoms, they come as they age.. ...hopefully its not what she has.. a pic will help...

·
Super Moderator
58,910 Posts
Just because they don't show symptoms, doesn't mean they don't have a parasite load.

I had fecals done on all my girls and one of them had a large enough barberpole load to treat. She has normal poop, dark pink eyelids and nice shiny soft fur.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts