Kid not nursing! Is she a little special?

Discussion in 'Kidding Koral' started by Coyote Night Acres, Mar 3, 2011.

1. Coyote Night Acres

Coyote Night Acres New Member

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    So ping had twins yesterday morning. I pulled the boy right after birth and fed him just a couple oz of colostrum from the dam which was hard to get due to her kicking. The little girl we planned to keep and let the dam raise her up. We attempted to get the girl on a teat, but the doe would not stand still for her and kept kicking. The dam also acted a bit restless and hadn't passed placenta yet. So we decided to just let them bond and after she passed her placenta we would try to get the baby to nurse again. Maybe a couple hours later the doe passed the placenta and we tried again with the baby she did not want to nurse at all, of course the doe was still kicking and had to be restrained but it was obviouse the baby was not going to get to eat from mom. We brought her up to the house milked out the doe and tried to feed the kid with a bottle like her brother, except she has no suction or nursing reaction at all. We ended up having to suringe feed her yesterday and tried her again this morning and still nothing. The boy is doing great, they are both pooping and peeing. She just does not want to feed herself. I thought this was instinct? Please help are there any tricks I should be doing to get her going on the bottle? I can't suringe feed her forever and she resists something terrible.

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    she may need some selenium -- do you have BoSe or selenium gel?

Because she didnt get to eat for a good couple hours after birth she is weaker and therefore not as likely to suck. You need to get her belly full. I recommend tube feeding her 1-2 ounces and this should perk her up real well.

3. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Thanks Stacey, I just gave her some selenium gel and some colostrum paste to try to pick her up. I'm going to attempt to take her down to momma and see if momma can stimulate her to nurse while I hold her legs still.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    She needs mom's milk tubed into her if she wont drink.

5. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    I don't have a lot of experience as some others here, but I just wanted to say that my little girl took a couple days of syrige feeding her till she finally caught on to suckle mom. Mom is a FF so I had to hold her and so baby could nurse. It will get better.

6. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    I posted somewhere just yesterday that we had a kid last week born with no sucking reflex and couldn't stand. We had to syringe feed him colostrum and once we got some colostrum in him we gave him selenium e gel. He perked up and we were able to put him back with mama about 5 hours later. Of course he's the one I have to make sure is nursing every couple of hours.

7. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I am very happy to hear ...she caught on...congrats.... :thumb:

8. Coyote Night Acres

Dec 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Been a busy day with these kids, but I have good news. After we gave her some selenium and colostrum paste we tried to bottle again, nope she was not having that and I ended up with more sticky milk on me than she got in her. So I cleaned her up and toted her out to the barn with momma, I thought maybe just maybe momma could stimulate her to nurse because I sure wasn't helping her out any. Right away she started bumping on momma and wagging her tail. So we held momma and held her back legs down from kicking and baby got on and started nursing. It was amazing she wasn't special she was just being difficult and hard headed. She was full of energy from the paste I gave her and just bopping around all over out there. We watched to see that she could get on without us holding mom or dirrecting her and she did, so we left them. We went back in and checked baby has been nursing is full of life and doing great. Momma loves her has stopped kicking over baby nursing and is being a wonderful mom now. She still kicks a little when we milk some colostrum for the buck, but she's a FF and she will learn.

9. peggy

peggy Senior Member

Aug 10, 2010
    B.C. Canada
    That's great news......

10. HoosierShadow

HoosierShadow Senior Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    Great news! I am so happy she is back with mama, and I hope things continue to go smoothly for them now :) The doe I've had issues with on nursing is also doing better with her twins and letting them nurse more too! What a great day :)