Kid paralyzed after getting caught in electric fence

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by TerraFarma, Sep 6, 2015.

1. TerraFarma

TerraFarma New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    So we had a week-old kid whose mom insisted on taking out to the pasture instead of leaving her at the barn with the other kids, and she ended up tangled in the electric netting. I was in the barn when it happened, so was able to get there quickly after hearing her cries, but it appears the shock has paralyzed her back legs. We've had her in the house for the past two days, she's alert and bright-eyed, but doesn't have much of an appetite and we're seeing almost no improvement in the back legs. I was hoping with her being so young that the nerves could repair themselves, but I'm feeling less and less optimistic of that. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is there any hope for her? If not, does anyone know of a sanctuary in Oregon or Washington that might be able to take her? (We are just east of Portland)

2. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Oh Yikes....Im so sorry..poor baby....You might try banamine to reduce inflammation .. Might also try DMSO which is Dimethyl sulfoxide and natural ..another natural choice is Helichrysum ess. oil...this has been know to regenerate nerves, For this I would dilute with a carrier oil and apply on her spine...do this 3-4 times a day...

3. Josephine28

Josephine28 Member

Jun 19, 2014
    I just had this happen except it was a light weight hut that tipped over on a few day old Nubian kid. She was trapped underneath and could not move her hind end either. My vet recommended 1ml (2mg/ml) dexamethasone once a day sub Q for three days. She was up and moving slowly in about three days and just continued to improve and now it's like nothing ever happened. Good luck-I hope your baby improves!

4. lottsagoats1

lottsagoats1 Well-Known Member

Apr 12, 2014
    Middle Maine
    Lots of vitamin B added to the above, since the B vitamins keep the neurological system healthy and working.

I agree with the Dexamethasone for inflammation, I've used it a lot.

DMSO is awesome stuff. I use it on myself for injuries and on my dogs, horses and goats! It can cause itching for the first few minutes as it gets absorbed thru the skin.

5. TerraFarma

TerraFarma New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    Thank you so much, this is so encouraging!

6. cfish001

cfish001 New Member

What does DMSO do? I have heard talk about it over the years but don't know anything about it. Maybe this this something everybody should keep on hand. Where can you get it?

I hope the best for your little one.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2015
  7. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    DMSO is dimethylsulfoxide....here is a little on the use of it..You can order off amazon..

8. Jasmar

Jasmar Member

Mar 28, 2015
    NW Oregon
    Oh, hey, Terra Farma - we love you guys. We've got to rehome (or cull) our only doe in milk, and were just wondering where to get goat milk until our junior doe freshens in the spring. We'll be in touch (we used to buy cows' milk from you).

9. cfish001

cfish001 New Member

Terra Farma,
    How is your doeling doing? Has she regained any function back at all?

Carrol

10. TerraFarma

TerraFarma New Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Corbett, Oregon
    A quick update: We greatly appreciate all the kind and helpful comments here, she's still having lots of trouble but we are seeing signs of hope. We consulted with one of our customers who is a naturopathic doctor, and she confirmed the helichrysum essential oil would be beneficial, and also recommended combining it with arnica, hypericum, and frankincense oils to rub on the spine, along with hot and cold alternations to the back legs. 3 minutes hot compress followed by 30 seconds cold, repeated 3-5 times, always ending in cold, and doing this 3x/day. She does move her tail around now, and she's making some slight movements in her back end, sometimes lifting up several inches off the ground. The naturopath also indicated that it could take up to six weeks for the nerves to repair themselves, but she's confident that her young age will assist her in making a full recovery. Here's a link to our facebook page with a couple of photos of this cutie: https://www.facebook.com/terrafarmaoregon

11. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    Sounds like a good plan of action. .arnica is good for inflammation :)....my husband took it after shoulder surgery.
    Best wishes