Kid pick back questions

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by kelebek, Mar 2, 2009.

1. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    I have a registered Nigerian that I would like to place for sale but have a few questions - as I have never done it this way before -

Selle Valley HNK Dobie is bred to CornerStone Abba *S

She is a nice looking doe - FF - 2 years old - Chocolate and cream (dobie markings). VERY standoffish.

She is confirmed pregnant through blood test, CAE, CL, and Johnes tested negative.

I have the following questions -

Currently I have her priced at 350 bred, 250 with kid pick back, 150 open after weening.

I would like to give option of kid pick back ---- how does this work in these situations?

A kid/s are born, but not one that you are wanting or like?

A single kid is born, you take the kid, and now they paid 50.00 more for a bred doe with no kid? Should I change the pricing to reflect that?

How do you figure prices when a kid pick is an option?

Do you hold registry till you receive the kid?

How do you know that you wil get the kid back in the end?

Thanks all!
  2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    I have a kid back deal with Lola

her price was 500.00
    I paid 250.00 with a kid back to owner (so basically I am getting a steal on a good doe plus a chance of kid/s if she has more then 1). She first said she wanted a doe kid, but she will take a buck kid because she believes Lola's udder is good enough. So wether she keeps or sells the buck kid is up to her.

Beth has Lola's papers till Lola kids. Then she will send in her papers with a transfer (I already filled in my info when I was there picking her up) and the date of sale being after the doe kidded.

She will give me her papers "early" because I want to show her May 30th. But usualy the breeder keeps the registration papers till the kid back is given to them. The new owners receive the papers in exchange for the kid.

Now she said if they dont want the kid then I get to keep it - no extra charge. If the kid is bottle fed then they will pick her/him up so I dont have to bottle feed.

To me the price with a doe kid back should reflect the quality of the doe and not the breeding. If she rarely has more then a single dont price her higher because they may not get a kid out of the sale. If the doe has multiples every year then a little higher then the does open price wouldnt be unreasonable due to the fact that 90% chance of them getting mroe then just the doe.

Remember they have to feed and care for the doe till the time of kidding.....thats work. So be sure to be fair in your pricing.

3. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    I sold Maxinne with a doe kid back agreement. I wrote it into my contract. I get the first doe kid back from the current breeding. If no doe kid is produced then I get the next doe kid out of her. She got Maxinne's papers and everything since I have a written contract with two separate copies, one for me and one for the buyer.
  4. KW Farms

KW Farms Moderator Supporting Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Wapato, WA
    Honestly, unless it's with another trusted breeder or a good friend, I don't think I would do choice kid back. There are so many dishonest people out there that would just say that the kids all died or that's not what the agreement was or there is only one kid and we want it, etc. and just keep the kids and the doe and not give you the correct amount of money. Even if you had it in a contract, someone may just disregard it and then what can you do, sue them? Even if you held the papers, some people may act like they want papers, but when it comes down to it, they really don't care about the papers and you would still lose money. To me, there are just to many things that could go wrong and to many unreliable people. Well that's all the negative things, i'm sure someone can give you the positives. :wink: But if you can find a way to make it work, then go for it. There are probably some people on here that have done that and they can give you more advice. But that's just my :2cents:
  5. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Thanks all - I appriciate it -

Any other info would be great as well! :wink:
  6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    this is what my receipt says

7. kelebek

kelebek New Member