Kid problems Hypothermia UPDATE: Lost Happiness, the doe kid

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Firestone Creek Farm, Jan 31, 2010.

1. Firestone Creek Farm

Firestone Creek Farm New Member

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA
    We have snow and ice, which is unusual for NC, and I had the new kids in with mom in a stall with a heat lamp. Well, even though we had the gate blocked, somehow the kids got through it and couldn't find their way back in. These are Joy's kids, so the poor little things were preemies already and teeny tiny. They are only 5 days old. When I went out to feed this morning, I was giving Joy her grain and noticed that the kids weren't in the pen, panicked, started looking, and found the baby girl sprawled out, head back, lying in the hay in front of the hay feeder, barely breathing, and the boy was outside in the snow wandering around aimlessly and stumbling everywhere. I grabbed both of them and shoved them in my coat and brought them in. I put the girl in a plastic bag (head out) immediately and submersed her. After about 5 minutes, she started moving a bit and ended up getting wet, so I kept her in for a few more minutes and then pulled her out, wrapped her in a towel, and took the blow dryer to her. The little boy was shivering but not acting like the girl who seems to be in dire straits right now. I mixed up some evap milk and molasses and got a little of that in her. I got a little milk in the boy, too, and both went to sleep. Put them both on a heating pad. BUTTTTTTT I took the girls temp about 20 mins ago and it's still not registering on the thermometer, so I covered the box with towels and wrapped her in towels and then used the blow dryer to warm up the box for about 10 mins or so. She actually stood up a few minutes, looking at me, and then laid down. The boy stood a bit and then laid down and went to sleep. Right now I am going to head outside and milk Joy and bring it back in to try to get some more milk in them. Oh, I also gave them a little Nutri-drench AND I have some of the Calcium Drench? so I gave them some of the Calcium Drench (about 1/2 cc, if that much) too, since it has Vit B6 and some dextrose, etc, in it. I worry about pneumonia now. Both seem a little 'rattley' when they breathe. They are TINY, too, so I don't even know how much I should give them of anything or whether I should give them anything at all. I don't have any thiamine or anything. I have some selenium +E, Biomycin, Bovi Sera? Advice???

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Re: Kid problems! Help! Hypothermia etc

Don't feed them anymore milk until you get their temps up.

Whiskey,karo,coffee in 3 equal parts. Give 1/2-1cc to each kid every half hour until their temp gets up.

Give them mom's milk if possible once you get the temps up. Use a heating pad, or the hot water bath in a bag like you are doing.

3. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

Biggest thing is getting the temp up before any milk! Give some coffee with karo syrup. Take ziplock baggies with hot water and place on both sides of the kids and then wrap in towels to keep the warmth in.

How is the boys temp?

Hopefully they will pull through for ya

4. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle

Yes no milk till temps are up. If thermometer isnt working stick your finger in their mouths. It should feel hot at the very least very warm. If mouth is cold the kid's temp is not up.
    I did what you have done last yr with 2, was only able to save one. In addition to blow dryer slap their little sides quite vigorously.
    Give brisk massages. My doe Sissy is pulling for you! :hug:

5. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

Both are sneezing a little bit now and have runny noses like they've caught colds. They are breathing a lot quicker now than earlier. Earlier both were breathing very shallow. If they stand up, they keep hanging their heads. Poor little things are so weak. The little girl keeps getting down on her knees and laying her head on the bottom of the box with her behind up in the air like when she nurses. Will go get some coffee in them. Unfortunately, I had already gone and milked Joy and given both of them a little of her milk. Maybe 1/4 or less of an ounce. They aren't taking much. I gave them more nutri-drench too. Off to give them coffee...

6. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

Ok I gave them coffee but I had to put sugar in it. I don't have any corn syrup--only molasses. AND we're iced in, so I can't get out to the store, and I probably won't be able to tomorrow either. Whiskey? None of that on hand either. The only thing with ANY alcohol in it would be vanilla extract! Both of them seem to be warming up some--the boy more than the boy. He's bigger, and I think he's been less affected overall. He actually stretched out a minute ago--a good stretch, and he looked up at me and then laid his head back down and went back to sleep. The girl feels somewhat warmer, thankfully. She's snuggled with her brother, so I think he's helping to warm her some, too. She willingly took the coffee and sugar. :) No problem there. She was still watching me when I covered the box again. Oh, she did pee a bit ago, so at least I know that's working!

7. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

thats good to hear -- sleeping is the body's natural response to fighting off anything or trying ot keep warm so I wouldnt be to worried about that.

Colds - thats to be expected with the condition you found them in. Pneumonia certainly is going to be a watch issue

seems like you are doing the best thign for them -- keep checking her temp to make sure its going up and then see if seh can regulate it on her own

8. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

I have some Bovi-sera and some BioMycin. Should I give some of that, too, or just wait?

9. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

Did they already have a BoSe shot recently?

I wouldnt give any Biomycin just yet -- I know after being outside my nose will get all sniffly but it doesnt mean I am gettign a cold. There hasnt been enough of an incubation time for pneumonia to have set in

10. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

Any sort of liquor, like vodka, tequila? I always keep whiskey around for occasions like this. Really helps warm them up.

11. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

I think the only thing I have is some blue curacao and tequila. How much tequila?

12. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts

If you give it straight about 1/4 a cc each. Or mix it in coffee, and molasses(or karo) in three equal parts and give about 1-1/2cc every half hour until their temps are up.

13. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

Put towels in the dryer to warm them...wrap the babies in the towels and keep 'em comin'. Heating pads work well too. Good luck!

14. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

Boy jumped out of the plastic container I have them in... lol... and ran around the room. I think the coffee was enough for him! His temp is over 101 now and hers is exactly 101. She's still lethargic though. I gave them both about 2 cc of mom's milk mixed with evap milk. I milked her earlier and she only gave me 2 oz. How much should they be eating at 5 days old, and how often? He was crying and climbed out of the plastic tub, so I am thinking he's feeling a lot better. I'm still very worried about her though.

15. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

I would go milk momma again and then take the boy out and see if he will nurse from mom and get him a full belly. She might still be a bit lethargic from her glucose being low and the temp so low - i would go ahead and give her some more of momma's milk and keep her warm

16. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

And then bring him back in? I am thinking definitely. It's supposed to be 10 degrees tonight.

17. 4hmama

4hmama New Member

Jan 9, 2009
    No. Central WV

Escapees...a good problem to have. :) I'd bring them back in for sure.... Unfortunately, you may have house goats for a while....

18. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas

you can bring them back in - unless you can stop them from escaping and keep it warm / draft free in the pen. You can also make little sweaters out of tube socks or sleeves for them. If you do let him stay outside - I would be checking on him periodically that he is being able to keep his temp up

19. Firestone Creek Farm

Jul 11, 2008
    NC, USA

Yeah, tell me about it. And my LGD wants to help, but he makes things worse. He tries to make the babies go back, but at the same time, he is overly concerned over them and about everyone else messing with them to the point that I worry he will hurt someone, and Joy, their mom--he stresses her like mad! She butts and butts at the fence. I think she's prob knocked the hole where they climbed out bigger and that's how they got out. Hubby went out and put another layer of wire over it. They can't get out now if I can just get them back to healthy again.

20. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ

mom was probably holding her milk for her kids -- so let the boy out to nurse at least so that he keeps up his strength