Kid Pygmy is acting weird

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HughesHobbyFarm, May 7, 2018.

1. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    There is something wrong with my 2 week old Pygmy goat but I’m unsure what. When we got him the owners thought he was a week old but now after having him for almost two weeks I believe he was maybe a few days old. He seemed fine when we got him but he has slowly been declining. I have been using goat milk replacer for him and our 5 week old but this one will only take 1-2 ounces per feeding if at all (the other takes 8 no problem) according to the formulas I have found he should be getting 6-8 ounces a day. Poop and pee is fine but it is almost like he has an upset stomach. Grinds his teeth off and on but I really think it is cud (you can hear him burp it up to his mouth). He is alert but weak on his feet almost pigeon toing his back legs. He will also stand hunched up at times. Both goats have been shaking there heads but I can’t see anything in there ears. We tried force feeding him yesterday thinking he was just not eating enough and that resulted in horrible bloating that we were able to fix last night. He is about the same today. There are no vets around that do goats so I’m at a loss. Help please.

2. Goats Rock

Goats Rock Member

Jun 20, 2011
    NE Ohio
    You might want to give him warm Electralytes for 24 hrs then switch to whole cow milk. (Grocery store milk). Some goats just cannot tolerate milk replacer, no matter what kind. Teeth grinding and hunching is a sign of pain. He is a little young for cocci to be a problem, but you may want to take a poop sample to the vet to get it checked. The milk should be warmed to about 100*F, just like the replacer.

groovyoldlady likes this.

3. jgrace farms

jgrace farms New Member

May 7, 2018
    When we had a very young kid we fed her pure goat milk plus it might be hard to feed a baby Pygmy because they develop a lot of sickness and health problems when not fed straight from their mama best of luck to you I hope the little one gets better

4. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree with the others.

Also, if the kid is around 2 weeks old may have worm issues. Get a fecal in case.

I would get a temp and go from there.
    If high, start antibiotics.
    If sub, get temp up and do as suggested above.

5. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Thanks everyone. I cannot find anyone with goat milk but I have stopped giving him milk replacer. I did find a recipe for whole milk, condensed milk and butterfat so thinking I will try that for him. I gave him two ml of Corid this morning and he seems to have more energy. All I have is Gatorade so I will give that to him. He isn’t interested in drinking so I have been using a syringe to get fluids in him. Still pooping and peeing good. This is a picture of him snuggling with the kids this morning.

Attached Files:

groovyoldlady likes this.
  6. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    He can also start on hay and goat pellet grain at 2 weeks old.

Sometimes replacer just doesn't work well for goat kids. Whole cows milk is a good choice. Are you feeding the bottles hot? They should be about 100*F for proper digestion.

Definitely check rectal temperature to be sure there isn't something else going on.

7. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Yes I let the bottle sit in hot water and check it on my wrist before I give him any. How hard do I push him to eat though? He still won’t take a bottle and I have been using a syringe. I’m nervous about bloat (he had that last night off of the replacer).
    I did check his temp on Sunday and it was 102.5. I can definitely check it again though.

8. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Are you sure the bottle is warm enough. Goat kids like milk that is warmer than human kids.

9. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    I guess I’m not sure. I’ll put a thermometer in it next time and verify it is around 100*F.
    I did give him some electrolytes this morning and I’m wondering if there is something wrong with his stomach. Whenever I put something in his belly he almost immediately “burps” and then chews and chews and chews before he swallows it again. Also and I’m not sure if this is an issue or not his umbilical cord has not fallen off yet. I looked at it the other day and tugged gently on it and it isn’t giving. He is between 2&3 weeks old. Shouldn’t that have fallen off by now?

10. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Umbilical cord can take a while to fall off. Are you feeding so he is in the same position that he would have to be in under mom?

11. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    I feed him in a few different positions. Sometimes he lays on my lap or the ground and I syringe it in. Other times he stands and I wrap my arm around him to put the syringe in. Doesn’t seem to matter the position he still “regurgitates” it back up and chews it. Sometimes only a few chews and others he chews for awhile. Goats so chew cud right?

12. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    I gave him pepto and baking soda on Sunday evening because he was bloating really bad. Is there something I need to give him to balance his tummy back out or anything after that? I’m wondering if that might be why he is chewing his cud every time I put something in his mouth? I don’t think he has been eating grass or hay the last few days. Should I be encouraging him to do that?

13. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    All really good advice.

If you give corid, it must be given orally for 5 days in a row.
    Do you know what the kid weighs?
    Do not underdose.

It is dosed at:
    30cc per 100lbs
    15cc per 50lbs
    7.5 per 25 lbs

Corid is not too easy on their rumens, just like any antibiotic or wormers are.

So giving probiotics after full treatment is wise. Or hours later.

Also giving fortified vit B complex SQ, 6 cc's per 100 lbs, is good to give, only after the 5 days of corid treatment, that is a day after all is finished.

A fecal helps determine if any of those is an issue.

Yes, try to get him to graze, eat hay.
    Or get some alfalfa pellets, blend them up, make a slurry and feed him slowly at the back corner of his mouth.

Steeling cud from another goat helps rebuild the rumen too.

14. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    He is 4.5 pounds. I gave him 2 ml strait of Corid yesterday. Does that sound about right?
    I should give probiotics after each treatment per day or on the 5th day only?
    I will look into alfalfa pellets and getting vitamin B for after the Corid is done.
    Is wormer something I should do for both goats on a semi regular basis in general?

15. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Also the Corid I did yesterday was straight Corid (not mixed with water) and was 2 ml. Was this right? It is what a meat goat farmer told me to do.

16. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    According to your formula a 4.5 pound goat should get 1.35 cc of Corid. Did I overdue it with 2? Should it be straight or watered down?

17. HJoy

HJoy Member

Mar 22, 2018
    Oregon
  18. jgrace farms

jgrace farms New Member

May 7, 2018
    Yes wormer is always good to do annual

19. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Will this work for the vitamin b after Corin treatment? Sorry for all the posts. I found someone with goat milk. Super excited!

Attached Files:

20. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Should I wait to worm until Corin 5 days is done?