Kid Pygmy not doing well. Help!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by HughesHobbyFarm, May 6, 2018.

1. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    hello. I’m new to this sight but in need of help. I have two Pygmy buck kids. One is 5-6 weeks old and the other we thought to be about 3 weeks now but I think he is closer to two (owners weren’t sure of age when we got them). The younger one is not doing well. He has never taken more than 2 ounces in a bottle (but he is really tiny so I wasn’t to worried). Now he is refusing to eat, becoming very weak and lethargic. He doesn’t drink water and grazes a little bit. He is unsteady on his feet and has been “chewing cud” like crazy. I gave him a small amount of vitamin B under his skin and we have been force feeding him every 2-3 hours but after reading a few other posts I’m worried that might be making him worse? Can I feed him water in a bottle? What else can I do for him? We have been using milk replacer as I don’t have access to goat milk. Help please!

2. ksalvagno

ksalvagno Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

No water. Get electrolytes and feed him that for a day. Then get whole milk from the store. Get his temp. Under 101 and he needs to be warmed up before given any type of bottle. Get a weight on him.

Raynee Jensen and goatblessings like this.

3. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Update: he won’t stop grinding his teeth and his belly is getting bloated. Help please!

4. ksalvagno

5. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    There is no vet that I know of that will touch a goat

6. ksalvagno

Try some baking soda. If you have activated charcoal, give him some of that.

7. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    We got the bloating down. Pepto and baking soda with rubbing his belly. I’m still unsure what to do for feeding him. Do I keep him on milk replacer or switch him to whole pasteurized milk?

8. ksalvagno

The replacer is more than likely your problem. Use whole milk.

Raynee Jensen and yankeedoodle like this.
  9. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    That was my thought too. Can I just switch him straight from replacer to whole milk? I still need to give it to him warm right?

10. ksalvagno

You need to do the electrolytes in-between. Then whole milk. Make sure it is warm enough. They like it a bit warmer than a child's bottle.

HughesHobbyFarm likes this.
  11. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Can I use gateraide or Powerade for the electrolyte? Do I water it down at all?

12. HughesHobbyFarm

HughesHobbyFarm Member

May 2, 2018
    Should I give him a shot of penicillin or anything?

13. Raynee Jensen

Raynee Jensen New Member

May 6, 2018
    Aurora Oregon
    I had a very similar problem with my kids when I brought them home they were only a week old and on milk replacer. I switched them to whole milk and used electrolytes (goat electrolytes) and they are much healthier and happier.

14. MadCatX

MadCatX Well-Known Member

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    If you have a tractor supply local I would go there - they have electrolyte powders that are for them. I give it to mine, keep an eye on the bloating.

15. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    If you won't have electrolyte powder, then gatorade or pedialyte will do in a pinch. Feed for 24 hours, then switch to whole cows milk. Penecillin is not a treatment for bloat. He does not need antibiotics. Has he had his first CDT shot? Do try to find a vet - all of us need one at one point in time or another.

16. ksalvagno

I would do the Pedialyte undiluted. Give the same amount you would give milk. Right now I wouldn't do penicillin.

17. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    Yeah - I was wondering about pedialyte myself.

18. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
  19. MadCatX

Jan 16, 2018
    GA
    You know I've learned alot on this site, it's actually great for new comers to Caprines.