kid questions!

Discussion in 'Mini Mania' started by littleflower, Mar 31, 2011.

1. littleflower

littleflower New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    I have 3 new nigerian goat babies...2 bucks and 1 doe, that are 4 weeks old. They're doing well eating hay + grain + nibbling minerals, but I'm not sure just how much grain I should be giving them. Right now they're getting about 1-1 1/2 C a day split amongst the three of them. I put out about 1/2 C @ a time and they've been eating it up as soon as I give it to them. Am I giving them too much? Too little?

Also, how long do the little wethers get grain? Should I keep them on grain for the first year? And if so, do they need ammonium chloride added to their ration?

And (FINALLY), at what age should these guys become wethers? I've heard anywhere from 4-8+ weeks. I'm worried that they'll still be banded when they're ready to be sold @ 8-10 weeks if I wait too long, but don't want to cause them any problems if I band too early.

Any help would be SO greatly appreciated! I'm new to goats (as of October)...I'm loving them, but have TONS of questions! Thanks!

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Welcome to the forum :wave:

ok the amount of grain seems fine for now -- dont want to overdo it.

Yes wethers can get grain for a year for a good growth. Doesnt need to be much though - like a half a cup each a day. You can add AC to their feed or minerals.

I wether at 7-8 weeks. Boys do leave with their bands still attached and I explain to buyers that it will fall off in a couple weeks.

3. littleflower

littleflower New Member

Mar 24, 2011
    Thanks so much Stacey for your help! When should I "up" their grain? And is ammonium chloride ok for the doeling to eat? (I was thinking that they'll be eating communally for a while). Thanks!

4. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    yes the AC is perfectly safe for the doeling.

As you wean them then up their grain amount