Kid scours..Tried almost everything..HELP

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by KerrieMarie422, Apr 3, 2014.

1. KerrieMarie422

KerrieMarie422 New Member

Mar 14, 2013
    Hello all,
    I have an 11 day old kid who is giving me issues with runny poop. She started late last week and I did Pepto 2cc twice a day for a couple days and it did help, but didnt last. So I then took her completely off moms milk (I bottle feed their mothers milk) and just gave her electrolytes for 24 hours. Again, this helped but as soon as I went back to moms milk the runs came with it. So I got Re-Sorb and am on the third day of that. The first two days I did just resorb and today I started the 1/2 resorb 1/2 milk and surprise surprise its like her little hooper exploded (SO MUCH POO) and it also smelled something awful. It isn't pure liquid, more like pudding. (Yes I will never look at pudding the same way either.) I have been documenting every step with these gals because her sister is giving me unrelated issues her vet and I can't understand for the life of us. She used to be very out going and playful but now she just wants to stay really close to a heat source (she hunches and shivers but i know she isn't cold) or my feet UNLESS she thinks shes getting fed, then she is a little firecracker. I took her temp and it was 101.8 I also weighed her and she is 3.8 pounds up from 3.2 her sister was 3.8 and is now like 5 pounds.

Their feeding schedule has very gradually increased to 4 ounces each of them every 3-4 hours. I know the equation but it just didn't seem like enough and her sister is doing fine on my bottle feeding schedule as did their brother last year. I gave her 2cc Nutra Drench lastnight and this morning I gave her 2cc Selenium and Vitamin E oral paste. She also got a Fortified Vitamin B shot

What is the treatment for Cocci? Treatment doesn't hurt even if they don't have it, right? so maybe I can do it anyway? Can I worm them? Seems I'm always writing a book, just trying to give you all the details. She is also a Nigerian Dwarf if that makes any difference. THANK YOU!

2. still

still Active Member

Mar 16, 2013
    Lockhart, Texas
    Can you get a fecal done? Cocci is definitely a possibility and yes they can be put on a preventive. You need to do something quick because it can take them down fast.
    Dimethox 12.5% (Sulmet) can be used as either a treatment or preventative. Your vet I believe can give it to you. I had to order mine from Hoegger supply.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014

3. nancy d

nancy d Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2007
    near Seattle
    Yes to the 12% Sulfadimethoxine from your vet. AKA Albon.
    It is 1ml per 5lb on day 1, then 1 ml per 10lb days 2-5.
    You might not see improvement till day 5.
    She most likely does not need to be wormed yet though it wouldn't hurt to do fecal.
    And yes it wont hurt her if not needed.

4. dnchck

dnchck Active Member

Mar 24, 2014
    My two little ones had scours really bad recently. I brought them to the vet and they did a fecal. Determined it was Coccidia so they treated them with albon. Mine weigh 10.3 amd 11.2 pds.They were on a five day treatment. 2cc the first day and 1 cc for the next four days. They are better now. The littlest one still has soft bowels ,,kind of like play dough ,,but not anywhere how it was before. Getting better now! Good luck with the little one..Sad to see them sick! The medicine was given orally which is so much better because I don't know how to give shots yet.

5. happybleats

happybleats Well-Known Member

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    at 3.6 pounds.. she is getting too much milk 4 oz ever 3-4 hours is what..4 feedings? thats 16ounces in a single day.....this will make her lethargic and hunched as her body tried to digest the milk...

at roughly 4 pounds x 16 to get her weight in OZ = 64 oz then x that by 10% to see how much she needs PER DAY...= 6.4 oz of milk divided into 3-4 feedings.
    3 bottles = 2.1 oz
    4 bottles = 1.6 oz...

5#-80 oz x10% is 8 oz..divided into 3-4 feedings...would be (3 times) 2.66 or (4 times) 2 oz per feeding

Try decreasing the amount of milk they get to the formula and see if things improve,,re weigh weekly and adjust milk amount.....then run a fecal and see if cocci is an issue...I usually dont treat for cocci until 3 weeks old...

best wishes

6. Artdrake

Artdrake New Member

Feb 21, 2013
    I agree with Cathy, my bet is over feeding.
    Also be aware(future reference ) that hunched up appearance can be constipation and you can always safely give a warm soapy enema to be sure they are cleared out. She couldn't process all that she was given, then more kept coming. When you get that amount adjusted you will see a big change!
    I think I mentioned this in another of your posts, Baycox is a wonderful coccidia 1 time treatment. It's so much easier than messing with poopy butts for 5 days. It's also been my experience that the runs stop that day I give it.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2014
  7. arb122

arb122 New Member

Jan 30, 2014
    Had this same thing happen- tried everything. Only thing that helped was 3cc of Neomycin Oral every 12hrs. They have it in a large bottle at tractor supply. Cleared it up quick

8. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
  9. KerrieMarie422

Mar 14, 2013
    I'm treating her with the 5 day cycle of sulmet and I also decreased her feeding to 2oz she is acting SO much better. They are 2 weeks old today

10. happybleats

Sep 12, 2010
    Gustine Texas
    good job!!..: ) always good to hear when they are feeling better!

11. KerrieMarie422

Mar 14, 2013
    Thank you! I was definitely over the moon when she started acting playful again