The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My mom asked me this morning (after I told her Bailey was going around crying for her kid) if Bailey was going to try to steal a kid from one of the other goats. Is this something I should worry about?

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
most does dont like another goats baby - they sniff them an will butt them away. In rare cases a doe has stolen anothers baby maybe not to nurse but to mother it. But more then likely even if you gave her another does kid to graft onto her it would be a LONG process before she truly accepted it as her own.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i wasn't thinking of trying (well maybe a little - i can hear her crying for her baby now and it breaks my heart.) At least she is feeling better - i think she was too miserable to care earlier. Plus i was hoping to only have to milk once a day........and it really hurts my hands - i had carpal tunnel surgery about 6 years ago, but since i didn't stop all my activities that led to it in the first place (gardening, home renovating, typing, sewing, etc) it has come back with a vengeance. I probably just need to build up the right muscles.

·
Premium Member
10,654 Posts
I do have does that will steal a baby if they want it. So it can happy and if she is a good mom really watch her unless you do not care.

I just want to cry when my does cry for their babies if it was lost. I never get upset, of stressed then, BUT when I am weaning them that is when I want to scream, becasue you have both mom and babies crying.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts