The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of my daughts show babies has had scours/diarreha since thurs. A I gave pepto Thurs morn. and then about 9 my daught gave her some scour halt.(now how much she got in her I dont know..she's 14). That night a friend gave me Toltrazuril and I gave her a does of that. Things seemed to be getting a little better less watery and more muddy textured yesterday, but I did give another dose of Toltrazuril anyway, well this morning back watery. I gave some scour halt this morning.....any more ideas on what to do? She is in a pen with 2 other small does and they are fine. She is eating grain, ive seen her nibble on the mineral and baking soda and Ive seen her eat some Chaffahaye. Sorry for the grossness but heres a pic from this morning.
Sick.JPG

Attachments

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
is she acting well other wise?? If it seems her tummy hurts, you can give her banamine or tagament to reduce the inflamation of the gut do to worms... the baycox (Toltrazuril) will work on the cocci..no need to dose again right now..wait at least 10 days...give it time to work...If her runs get watery I would give c d antitioxin until it firms up....Offer her electrolytes to sure she stays hydrated ....it take a little time for the tummy to heal from worm load..if she doesn't begin to firm up by Monday evening, then suspect bacterial diarreah ...neomycin is a safe oral antibiotics give for three days..but from the pic I suspect she is working through her worm issue..as long as it doesnt turn watery...and she is doing well other wise I would give her a bit of time to work it out...

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
I would take away the grain. I would give her Probios daily. I would put electrolyte water out. I would also get a fecal done on Monday.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
no need to take the goat in for a fecal..just her poo :D..gather a fresh sample in a old pill canister or baggie

·
Super Moderator
58,899 Posts
It probably wouldn't hurt to take the goat in so the vet can physically look at her and make sure nothing else is going on. There are a lot of things we can't "see" over the internet.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Only been giving the pepto 1 time a day, but I am going to increase it. She seemed alot better this morning and her stool was alittle firmer.

Thanks Everyone

·
Registered
14,606 Posts
It looks like salmonila. I have yet to have scour hault work on a kid older then a few weeks old. I dont know about the other med. your talking of, I would give neomycin, it does awsome. But if you have the vet app. go and ask him about the salmonilla.

·
Registered
30,610 Posts
good news..sounds like a bit too much graze perhaps? :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts