The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello I am worried about my 13 day old kid. She was recently debudded and besides a bit of liquid leakage on the left side (which we cleaned with iodine) everything seemed to be ok but now she has a 104.6 temp. She is shaking from the fever and acting in pain. Also she is due for her CDT shot soon but I’m not sure if I should hold off on that until her fever is gone.I am not sure how to get the fever down though. I’ve heard that they need to be taken off milk and just given electrolytes. Is that true? I have never had a goat with a fever. Any advice would be super helpful.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Poor girl. I would hold off on CD&T until after she is better. It won't do her any good and just stress her out more. You can give her Banamine to help with any possible pain, and to bring the fever down. High temp can a sign of infection, so it may be wise to get antibiotics and start to think about treating. Breathing sound good? Normal, not raspy? Nasal discharge? Was she sitting in a warm place or running around a lot when you took her temp? Did you take it right/a few hours after you had her disbudded? I would not take her off of milk and put her on electrolytes unless she has scours, or is dehydrated. You can give her some probios.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I noticed she was just laying down this morning instead of jumping around like usual and when I picked her up she felt hot so that’s when I took her temp. Her breathing sounds normal and there isn’t any nasal discharge. I’ll keep an eye on her bowel movements but she’s nursing normally and I’m relieved you also do not think we should take her from her mom. All the advice confirmed what I was thinking so thank you! Never had this issue before but I’ve never debudded this late before either☹

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thought I give an update on my baby... yesterday she had a high fever, not very active and her head was swollen from disbudding. I treated her head with hydro peroxide and then iodine.. drenched her with high vitamins and minerals. She definitely was in pain.. you all gave good advice and I appreciate it very much. After studying a lot yesterday of trying to figure out what I was going to do or if I should have my vet come out. We all agreed her head was probably infected which is why she had a fever.. but after a couple hours my daughter was going to give her a shot of penicillin but when she checked on her she was up and seemed better.. she took her temp and it was down. Her head seemed less swollen too. My daughter then took her temp hourly and treated her head and drenched her. By evening time.. her temperature was completely normal and she was running around all happy and spunky This morning her temp was normal and her head not swollen at all and is as spunky and playful as before.

·
Premium Member
4,708 Posts
Thought I give an update on my baby... yesterday she had a high fever, not very active and her head was swollen from disbudding. I treated her head with hydro peroxide and then iodine.. drenched her with high vitamins and minerals. She definitely was in pain.. you all gave good advice and I appreciate it very much. After studying a lot yesterday of trying to figure out what I was going to do or if I should have my vet come out. We all agreed her head was probably infected which is why she had a fever.. but after a couple hours my daughter was going to give her a shot of penicillin but when she checked on her she was up and seemed better.. she took her temp and it was down. Her head seemed less swollen too. My daughter then took her temp hourly and treated her head and drenched her. By evening time.. her temperature was completely normal and she was running around all happy and spunky This morning her temp was normal and her head not swollen at all and is as spunky and playful as before.
If you are gonna use any cleaner dont use peroxide! It kills all the "good" too. Iodine diluted if you dont have the diluted already, hibaclense or vetricyn is much better for them. Neosporin is also good.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts