The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He started to get scours yesterday, but he had quite a bit of alfalfa that day, so I gave him 5 cc goats prefer probiotics. This morning, he still had scours, so i gave him 10 cc of Jumpstart probiotics. I pulled feed from him this evening, and with each probiotics dose i gave him 24 cc of water to keep him hydrated. Gave him 10 cc of Jumpstart and 24 cc of water. He is nursing his mom. I rubbed his belly a bit, and he didn't burp or fart, but he is not bloated any way. I took his temp, and it was 104.4!!! He was just playing around and jumping so that could have warmed him up a bit, but that is high! It is also above 100 here. I cant get banamine right now, so i will get childrens ibprofen for him. He got Replamin yesterday and the day before. He got a fecal just recently, (will have to get my records to know exactly when) but it was about 2-3 weeks ago. I have b complex that i will give him in a little bit, but I dont know what this is! Is it E-coli? I have no idea! Please help
@GoofyGoat @NigerianDwarfOwner707 @ksalvagno @goathiker @toth boer goats @happybleats @Trollmor

·
Super Moderator
58,933 Posts
Between the heat and the alfalfa, it may just take a while. Usually I'd suggest something but this time I'd start with Pepto. Continue what you are doing. Maybe add a B Complex shot

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
I know coccidia can cause a fever along with scours. I have a friend who has had this happen in multiple goats the past couple months after having a coccidia outbreak from new rescues. So it can come with a fever, something to note.

What color is the diarrhea?

Keep hydrated, I’d get electrolytes in him, continue probios, B complex won’t hurt.

How old is he? This may answer A LOT of questions in itself.

Retake temp at cooler time of day and NOT after running.

I really need to know his age before I proceed with suggestions.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Retake temp at cooler time of day and NOT after running.
just took his temp again, he is 102, and it is only about 98 degrees outside. Im not worried about that anymore!

I really need to know his age before I proceed with suggestions.
He was born May 9th, so he is almost 3 months old.

Keep hydrated, I'd get electrolytes in him, continue probios, B complex won't hurt.
I am doing that. I will give b complex in the morning

I'd start with Pepto
I gave him one pill just now and took his temp. He is at 102 now

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
just took his temp again, he is 102, and it is only about 98 degrees outside. Im not worried about that anymore!

He was born May 9th, so he is almost 3 months old.

I am doing that. I will give b complex in the morning

I gave him one pill just now and took his temp. He is at 102 now
And the color of his scours?

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
Poor little guy, he must feel rotten...scours are no fun. About the fever..
My little Thalia got that hot (104.2) running around outside in this heat and bright sunshine as well. I brought her in and let her rest for half and hour and she was back down to 102.4. I wouldn't be too worried about the fever if it goes down to normal at rest. If it doesn't then I'd offer something to bring it down.

I've noticed that lately I've had to change my water more frequently because birds are contaminating it by stealing drinks and getting droppings into it. Or possibly another animal, chickens maybe, using the waterer and contaminating it. Could this be happening there?

Where are you storing your feed could the heat and humidity of turned it slightly rancid? Here, I've noticed that in the mornings any leftover feed or pellets in their feeders is pretty damp and off smelling..so I've been dumping it and wiping their feeders with Clorox wipes before putting in fresh.

Here, the heat is taking its toll on my younger ones, hydration is key so I've been offering plain water, acv water, electrolyte water. Are there a bunch of shady areas for him to rest in?

Have you checked mommas milk? And teat's? Maybe she has something going on that's being transferred to him while nursing. If she's laying about maybe she's got something stuck on her teats that could make him sick.

If the pepto doesn't work, you might consider giving Spectoguard for twice a day for 3 days. The dosage is 2cc's per 10 lbs. the box says pumps but it works out to a cc per pump.

I'd say keep up the probios and vitamin b as well.

Sorry for all the questions but maybe they might shed light on a cause.... keep us posted!

Edited to correct dosage and spelling error

·
Registered
Goat Mentor
7,396 Posts
It may just be heat and alfalfa as Karen said. If it’s pretty similar to normal poop color then he may just be dealing with a minor digestive problem. You could give some garlic, cayenne, cinnamon, ginger, slippery elm, in molasses, ACV and water to liquify then drench a couple times a day. Along with keeping up with probios, electrolytes, and vitamin b.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I've noticed that lately I've had to change my water more frequently because birds are contaminating it by stealing drinks and getting droppings into it. Or possibly another animal, chickens maybe, using the waterer and contaminating it. Could this be happening there?
The little barn swallows and the finches are all drinking from the goats water, but they arent pooping in it.

Where are you storing your feed could the heat and humidity of turned it slightly rancid?
I dont think so, I store it a little deer blind, and the feed gets stored inside metal garbage cans, so it never gets wet or damp.]

Are there a bunch of shady areas for him to rest in?
yes, maybe too many places lol!

Have you checked mommas milk? And teat's?
i was milking her a while ago, but had to stop because I went on a trip and havent started again. I will put her on the stand this morning.

I would also take another fecal on him if you haven't already.
aye aye captain!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Is he feeling better tonight? Is this one of Babies, babies? How's momma?
The scours are all gone! Yes, it is one of Baby's babies. Mamma is doing great! She has been such a good mamma to her kids! This is her first set of triplets. The 2 boys are going to need weaned soon, and i just hate the hollering they do for each other:(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts