Kid with Coccidiosis - help urgent !!!

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Jenna, May 12, 2010.

1. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I have a kid I bought from a different farm about 2 weeks ago. All of my other kids are extremely healthy. I v'e not had cocci in my kids in a long time.
    It was healthy when I got it - very active.
    Well a day or so after I got it - it got scours . So i thought it had cocci ( and the fecal supported that)- I started right away with dimethox
    12.5 % - 31/2 cc. The kid was about 4 weeks at the time - and probably weighed 10 -15 pounds.
    so after about 3 days of treatment ( I also converted it to electrolytes 3x daily and no grain just hay) her stools were almost normal - at the end of the treatment they were the same - almost normal.
    so I sent a stool sample in to the vet ( The kid was very active and healthy looking through the whole treatment) . The sample came back - moderate load of cocci.
    So i started another treatment of di -methox with a higher dosage ( about 4cc)

She still was acting fine and the stools looked like dog poo now.
    3 days into the 2nd treatment her scours returned. I took a stool sample the next day ( today-no results back yet)
    Her scours only lasted about a day the 2nd time though. and went back to looking like dog poo.
    yesterday the kid started acting a little quieter then normal ( hardly noticeable). but suddenly today the kid didn't want to eat her noon feeding - it only drank half of it ( I had it back onto goat milk gradually when its stools were normal. but now it's drinking half and half).
    Tonight it's is looking very sick and weak. It half choked on it's treatment.

I have been giving it probiotics since it got sick - at every feeding and gave it some when I got it.
    I don't know what to do - she looks very weak and anemic.
    I gave her nutri - drench and an iron supplement - both she seemed to almost gag on - like she can't swallow well. though she did drink some of her food tonight pretty hardily but then stopped. i am worried she got some of the treatment into her lungs??
    please help - should I start her on a different cocci treatment - An antibiotic?
    I am going to call the vet tomorrow and I'll hopefully get the fecal results back too.
    Thanks

2. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    Sounds like you need a different treatment -- ask the vet for SMZ tablets and I would check her temp. If she has a temp I would put her on banamine for a couple days.

3. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I agree... she isn't reacting to the treatment ..... :( :hug:

4. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    yes, that is what i though about her not reacting - though corid is what the vet puts them on when dimethox doesn't work and I don't like giving goats that at all.
    Thanks for the advice - I'll ask my vet tomorrow about the SMZ .
    I hope she makes it- she's my favorite kid.
    THANKS

5. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    SMZ should work better than the Di-Methox. Even though cocci feeds on it I would give a good dose of Thiamine or FORTIFIED B-12. With a high cocci load her own supply will be diminished. I would give either 1 cc Thiamine or 6 cc's FORTIFIED B-12

6. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    if not ask for Baycox -- see if they have that.

7. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Ask for the pig form as it works on goats. I don't think the other form is strong enough.

8. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    also I am checking temp in a minute - hadn't thought of that with cocci.
    Thanks for the info on b vit. I was going to give her some but realized I had only just plain B 12 vitamins injectable :(
    thanks!!

9. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    I will pray... for the little baby..... hope you find a solution soon... :hug: :pray:

10. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    The plain is better than nothing but you would have to give like 12 to 15 cc's to get enough B-1. You can also crush a B-1 pill and give that if you have nothing else. Injected works faster but oral is better than nothing.

11. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I checked temp - 105.5!!!!!!
    She looked a little bit more chipper - she chewed on my shirt! before she let her head go limp.
    I gave her 2 cc of prevail ( same thing as banamine).
    Thanks for the info Crocee - I'll try that.
    Thanks all- !!!!!!!!

12. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    2 cc's of Prevail is an awful lot. My vet only gives 1/2 cc to the babies as the dose is 1 cc per 100lbs.

Listen to her chest for silent pneumonia. We use Nuflor but that a vet Rx. Pen is next at 3 cc's 2x daily for 7 days.

13. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Jenna,
    I too have a sick kid. We had some chilly wet weather go through Monday and my goats wouldn't let Ben into any of the sheds or dog houses. Took him to the vet Tuesday morning and he had the first stages of pneumonia. :sigh: After 3 shots he started eating and playing again, now he's not feeling good. I went ahead and gave him his other 3 shots today. Wasn't supposed to have to give them til Friday. He's back to running around like a fool. I also gave him a little coulosstrum I had i the freezer. The corid didn't work on him. I'll put in a call to vet when hubby comes back from his Dr. :sigh: It's been a fun week with more rain coming Friday through next week. I guess I'll go buy more diapers. Looks like Ben will be a house goat a bit longer. :laugh: He loves to sleep ext to the couch and watch TV. Rotten goat.

Gina

14. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    That temp is high....sounds like...the baby also has pneumonia ...start antibiotics right away..... I myself use nuflor ..... :hug:

15. mrs. lam

mrs. lam New Member

Apr 20, 2010
    Pam,

Ben is on B something for temp and Baytrol(sp?) as the anti. Can I still give him B-12 to help with appetite? He is also getting Corid once a day til Saturday. I told vet it wasn't working, he said to give it a couple more days. :sigh: No worm overload, just some loose stool due to the blah's I guess. I can't wait to see some billy berries again. :shades:

Gina

16. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    Not Pam, but you can give B-12 with anything. I really don't think there is anything it interferes with.

17. Jenna

Jenna New Member

Jan 7, 2009
    I lost her last night.
    it was a vet reccomended dose crocee - maybe he thought I should give her a higher one? 1/2 cc acording to the doseage ratio the vet gave me sounds low..
    Anyway thanks all for your help!
    I can't believe she went down hill so fast. in the morning she was perky and active that night she was so sick looking- I can't believe it was so sudden - agian thanks all

18. StaceyRosado

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    oh Jenna thats so sad :hug: especially after all you had been doing for her :(

19. toth boer goats

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    Yes ...vit B is OK anytime.....

I am so very sorry... you lost the baby...my heart goes out to you ...you tried so hard....to save the kid.... :( :hug:

20. crocee

crocee New Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Northeast Arkansas
    I am so sorry you lost her.