The Goat Spot Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2 1/2 month old doeling has started having almost watery dark yellow/brown diarrhea. I investigated further and found about three other areas where she went sometime in the last day or so. It was soft brown clumps-not normal pellets. She took her bottle fine this morning and isn't acting out of the ordinary. What do I need to do for her? What do you think has caused this? She is on a Coccidia and worm prevention program but I know that doesn't mean she can't get those things. My buckling isn't showing these symptoms and the are together when I supervise them. Any advise id very appreciated!! Is there some type of home electrolyte mix I can give her to prevent dehydration?

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
What cocci and worm prevention are you using? Have you increased her milk amount..made changed in her milk or feed??

I would stop her bottles for now..12 -24 hours...give her 4-6 cc pepto to sooth her tummy and dry her up...
replace her milk with electros...add baking soda...I would have a fecal done to be sure your prevetion is working..
check for fever just in case.and evaluate her milk amount....here is a recipe for electros...
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy.

·
962 Posts
Electrolytes like Cathy suggested is a good idea so your baby doesn't get dehydrated. When my kids get scours I also will give them Scour-Chek. It is a red medicine that you can buy from tractor supply. It is made for pigs but it works wonders on goats.

Diarrhea can kill kids really quickly.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
since my kids are dam raised I dont take away milk (its to stressful on mom and them) so they just get treated for coccidia individually (Dimethox or something similar) and in 5 days it clears up. Sometimes I will also give pepto at 6cc every 12-24 hours as well.

Some kids are just more susceptible to scours with parasites then others. Ive also had my kids go in batches getting the runs. 2 or 3 at a time while the others are fine.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As was suggested to me by her breeder I'm doing dimethox 40% every 3 weeks. I got some smz tablets from my vet should I give these now? I have started the pepto. She gets whole milk from the store and has for 2 months with no problems. No changes with that or her feed. I'm going to give her some electrolytes now. Thanks for helping!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
About 12 days ago I began giving her beet pulp and minerals along with her feed also if y'all think this is relevant.

·
Premium Member
29,236 Posts
I would pull any grains and give pepto for 12 hours. Then watch to see if that clears it up. Slowly introduce again once the runs have stopped. If its food related that will show you.

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
Yes...grain and milk are hard to digest and harder when the tummy is messed up...the milk choice if great..if her poop is pretty watery I still would stop milk for at least 12 hours to let her tummy rest...no grain as Stacy said..give electrolytes the pepto and hay...
Once she is back to berries...give her her milk back...if all things stay berries then restart feed slowly..

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok do I've started the electrolytes but I am not sure how much she needs. I'm trying pedialyte. I have taken away all grain and I'm not giving her any more milk for now. She still acts like her normal self(running and jumping) so I'm hoping it was just something she ate.

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got back from the barn and she now has almost regular consistency it's still slightly loose but the color is normal now. I think I will hold off on grain until maybe Tuesday and try her on a bottle again tomorrow night? That sound ok? I have water in her stall and hay. Will that be ok? Just water and electrolytes and gay until tomorrow night then give her a milk bottle if she is still ok? Then slowly add grain and beet pulp back?

·
Registered
91 Posts
What cocci and worm prevention are you using? Have you increased her milk amount..made changed in her milk or feed??

I would stop her bottles for now..12 -24 hours...give her 4-6 cc pepto to sooth her tummy and dry her up...
replace her milk with electros...add baking soda...I would have a fecal done to be sure your prevetion is working..
check for fever just in case.and evaluate her milk amount....here is a recipe for electros...
A half gallon of hot water
2-6 Tablespoons of Unsulphured Blackstrap Molasses
1-2 Tablespoons of Either Sea Salt, Epsom Salt, Baking Soda or Table Salt.
1 cup of Apple Cider Vinegar

Mix well and drench or let them drink it. Most of mine love this stuff unlike the electrolytes you buy.
Yup. That is what you need to do.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I just got back from the barn and she now has almost regular consistency it's still slightly loose but the color is normal now. I think I will hold off on grain until maybe Tuesday and try her on a bottle again tomorrow night? That sound ok? I have water in her stall and hay. Will that be ok? Just water and electrolytes and gay until tomorrow night then give her a milk bottle if she is still ok? Then slowly add grain and beet pulp back?
I would still suggest a fecal......coccidia is popping up a lot right now......it's good that she seems to be feeling better:)

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
As long as her poop is more playdough than pudding you could try a milk bottle tomorrow eveing see how she does..maybe give her 1/2 of what she normaly gets then 1/2 a bottle of electros..dont mix the two..give seperatly..Water, electros and hay is perfect for now....I agree I would still have a fecal done and check for cocci...they can still be lerking, best to catch it early : )

·
Registered
273 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
K I'll do that. How much do your vets generally charge? The ones in my area don't have much dealings with goats!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
K I'll do that. How much do your vets generally charge? The ones in my area don't have much dealings with goats!
My vet charges $20 for a fecal and that's checking for cocci as well.:D

·
Registered
31,474 Posts
My vet charges $12...I thought that was high until I read how much "Still" pays lol..

1 - 20 of 28 Posts