The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My little doeling (4 months) started scouring yesterday. She's eating and drinking normally, and moving around with bright eyes. When it started to rain last night, I put their hay in their house, so it would stay dry while they ate. I noticed her coming out and trying to eat wet hay from her feeder outside. She stood in the door of the house and looked at me, crying, but didn't eat with the others. This morning, my husband reports the others are kicking her out of their goat house, into the rain again.

I'm pretty sure it's cocci or something she ate, so I am treating with CD Toxoid, kaopectate and sulmet. I guess my question is, why would the others start kicking her out into the rain now? They've been living together peacefully since they were all born.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
sorry to here the others are being mean ; ( might stick a small dog house out there for her to hide out in

is she smaller than the others..are they crowded in the shelter??
with Cocci you should treat all kids...of one has it most likely they all do
CD Toxoid or C D antitoxin??

·
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They are all being treated with the Sulmet for coccidiosis and they all get SweetLix with Rumensin on a regular basis, so I think that's covered. I think she ate something yucky, so I am treating her for enterotoxemia as well (CD Toxoid). I think it's the rain that is the complication. I have another small house for her and I'll be sure to clean all the houses out well and put new bedding in today. Maybe the others sense she isn't feeling well and are picking on her.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
That could be...they like to pick on the weak ones..
CD Toxoid is a slow acting but long acting medication..this is why I asked...C D Antitoxin acts fast and then leaves the body...Toxoid is for prevention while Toxin is for treatment...You are wise to consider enterotoxemia..its very pos. with the rain..but the toxoid will do her little good right now...I would grab some C D Antitoxin for her..Best wished
http://goat-link.com/content/view/159/168/#.UbHwcPaDR68
http://www.tennesseemeatgoats.com/articles2/toxoidAntitoxin.html

·
Super Moderator
58,510 Posts
It sounds like there isn't enough room in the shelter and they are kicking out the lowest herd member. She will definitely need another shelter. You may want to consider getting fecal done on her. It could be another parasite and you will want to use the right dewormer.

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
: ) glad she is doing better poop wise

·
Registered
30,219 Posts
how are things tonight?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts