The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I have a kid who was born on Tuesday of this week. She was given 1/2 cc of BoSe and 1/2cc of Vit. B-12 about an hour after being born. I noticed she couldn't use one of her back legs properly yet which doesn't regularly happen in my herd, however it has happened before. Fast forward to last night. She doesn't seem to want to use her leg at all! I picked her up and felt it, nothing was broken or out of place. As I set her back down it realized it was more her ankle than anything else. Do any of you have any suggestions to do? I've thought about giving her a 1/4 cc of BoSe to see if that would help. Any suggestions are welcome.

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
It is most likely selenium deficiency, giving BO-Se shot was wise, no more needed. Give it time to work.

You can splint it, so, it supports the area.
And so the baby can lay down and get up on it's own.
Make sure it is not too tight.

It may take a week before the tendons shrink up.

Remove the splint at 1 week, if it is better you are good to go.
If it is still a little weak, re- splint for another week.

·
Fair-Haven
4,730 Posts
I've had great success with splints. Ususally only takes a couple of days to help baby out. I use cardboard or popsicle sticks with vet wrap. Just don't cut off circulation by wrapping too tight.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry for the late response finals week is starting to get to me LOL. My father put the doe's leg in a splint. The most interesting part about it is that the tendon was extremely tight according to him. The splint has corrected her hoof's position by 65% or so. By the end of this week I will take her out of this splint and see where she is progress wise. My dad had the vet come out for on of our sheep ( which the sheep is fine now) and went ahead and had him look at her. He says we will more than likely have to have her in a splint for 2 weeks, depending where she is at the end of the week. I will let you all know how she is at the end of the week.

·
Registered
8,834 Posts
I think this was selenium deficiency, so good job with the Bo-Se. I'd take another look at my overall mineral supplementation plan for the entire herd again, because selenium problems are cumulative. Of course, your whole herd might be just fine and there was something about this one doe that caused an issue. But you won't know unless you look at this with fresh eyes.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok, so I noticed the kid wasn't putting any weight on her hoof with the splint on. I took it off to see what was going on. She would walk without it on, but with her hoof still bent. Put a new splint on, yet she still refuses to use that entire leg. What should I do? Put a little weight on it LOL???

·
Super Moderator
83,113 Posts
Teach her how to walk with it.
Move her along and try to get her to use it.
Yet know, even if she isn't using it, it will mend.
That is the idea of keeping it from tweaking in the wrong way until it pulls tightens. So no worries. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts