KID WOBBLY

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by srfotog, Dec 28, 2017.

1. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    Had a surprise birth in December, one dead from exposure and two left. One is wobbly, she can walk and stand up but looks like she is having trouble with the back end. Since she was about three lbs. I gave her only one quarter cc of BoSe and a vitamin E capsule. She immediately got better, but is doing it again after a few days. Now she's six lbs. and I need to know how much BoSe to give so I don't kill her. She's alert, nurses and wobbles around. Her brother is already leaping and acting much more athletic. Any tips on how much BoSe for six lbs?

2. Suzanne_Tyler

Suzanne_Tyler GreenTGoats

Jul 19, 2014
    US
    I'd give another 1/4cc.

ksalvagno likes this.

3. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    You mean 1/8th right? She's only 6 lbs. and a Nigerian. She only got a 10th but I've been giving drench with 0.1 selenium every two days since.

4. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    Today she's a little better again, so 1/8 or 1/4 for a 6 lbs. doeling?

5. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    She had enough selenium for her size.

Watch for floppy kid, if she started that at 3 days old.
    If you think it is, treat her right away.

catharina likes this.
  6. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    I finally got vet on phone and he said give 1/4 more cc BoSe. She's now hopping around almost as well as her brother. Hope she isn't going to be dead in the morning....

catharina likes this.
  7. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Adorable!!! WAY too adorable!!! Hope she makes it! If you have any more pregnant does, I wonder if you should give them selenium?

8. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    I didn't know she was preggers. The stud muffin escaped and I thought another doe was in heat. Totally surprised by this birth.

catharina likes this.
  9. catharina

catharina Catharina

Mar 16, 2016
    Northern California
    Ah--SAME here. Spent a couple minutes at the window Christmas morning, trying to convince myself there were 2 large brown chickens in the goat pen! NOPE! IMG_1299.JPG

10. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    Your chickens are GORGEOUS! Are they Nubians? Unfortunately one of my babies was dead from exposure since it was her mom's first pregnancy and she was scared to death standing outside the shed yelling. The buckling and this doeling survived and I got them inside immediately w. heat lamp and a heating pad as well. She didn't show the wobblies until a few days later. So then I gave her about a 10th of a cc and she got better. But went bad again in two days, so that's why I was asking because I know if you give too much they'll die. So tonight she's not only jumping on her brother, she's WALKING on her back legs like a circus goat! Instant cure with the quarter cc of BoSe. I'm so relieved because I was holding her a lot and moving her legs, etc. I got too attached. So the doe turned into a great mother after she got over her trauma. She is so protective even though her babies love being held.

SalteyLove and toth boer goats like this.
  11. SalteyLove

SalteyLove Well-Known Member

Jun 18, 2011
    New England
    srfotog: So glad you were able to save 2 of the 3 kids and that the doe is a good mother! Did she have the third one cleaned off and what not, it was just too cold? Did she have an udder to clue you in or not at all?

Catharina: you cracked me up with your story... trying to convince yourself of 2 chickens. Look at the EARS on that pair!

12. goatblessings

goatblessings Fair-Haven Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2015
    Southwest Ohio
    Those are the cutest chickens I've ever seen!!! Congrats on your success with your doeling srfotog!

13. srfotog

srfotog Srfoog

Sep 11, 2014
    Near Portland, OR
    The doeling that died was pretty clean but momma was outside the shed crying. She did not show an udder and, in fact, it looks very small now, but there is plenty of milk. She did not look fatter than any other of my pudgy goats, either. The wobbly doeling plays every day, now, and actually jumps on those back legs up on her brother. She still has a slight bit of wobbly, so I continue to give her drench every couple of days. I'm worried about too much selenium. The drench has 0.1 every cc.

toth boer goats likes this.
  14. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    So sorry about the loss. :(

Yeah, be careful with the drench.

Glad the doeling is doing better. :)