Kid won't eat

Discussion in 'Goat Frenzy' started by Dover Farms, Mar 10, 2009.

1. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Fool's doe kid I am keeping(born 2/20) has been eating fine up until the past couple of days. She won't finish her bottle(which has now been decreased to 13 oz.). She gets on the bottle sucks 2-3 times and then pulls off and plays with the nipple and chews on it. She acts just fine...being a little booger like always...just won't eat her bottle. And I'm pretty sure she isn't eating enough hay to be full. This is very frustrating....a little :help: please!

2. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Does her tummy feel full? How many times a day are you feeding her? Have you taken her temp? Is she still pooing fine? Gut/stomach sounds?

3. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    She doesn't really feel full...we did get her to eat 9 oz.(which is NOT enough! :hair: ) She gets fed 3 times a day. We did not take her temp...I really don't think she is sick..just being a brat, but we will take her temp when we do chores tonight. She is pooing fine..still yellow colored. Her stomach makes noises when she is eating.

4. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    If it's just yellow colored poo then she isn't eating a lot of hay or grain. Sounds like she is ok, just fooling with you. But I would still get a temp just to be sure.

5. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    :ROFL: Nice choice of words considering her dam's registered name is Just Fooled You! But yeah...that's kinda what I figured...so is there anything I can do about it?

6. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    did you jsut decrease to 3 bottles from 4 recently? she may not be happy about that change. Try smaller feedings more often to see if she eats more - total for the day.

YOu can try giving her a b complex shot

7. RunAround

RunAround New Member

Feb 17, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I wouldn't be too concerned yet. You can give her some b-complex to help with her appetite.

8. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Checked her and her sisters temp last night...one was 103.3 and the other was 103.4. She did eat her bottle last night....FINALLY! :leap: I'm getting her bottle ready for this morning..so we'll see if she continues to eat...

9. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    that is good news... :greengrin:

10. Dover Farms

Dover Farms New Member

Oct 16, 2007
    NW Ohio
    Yeah..she ate her bottle this morning, too! I think she was just being a little booger...she pecked me yesterday and cut my finger. :roll:

11. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    :wahoo: that is great......

sorry about your finger though....ouch..

12. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    wonderful! maybe she just wasnt feeling totaly right yesterday. :shrug: I know I have days I dont want to eat as much.

13. goatkid

goatkid New Member

Jan 17, 2009
    Montana
    I've noticed with my bottle babies that they have days where they don't eat quite as much. I'm sure dame raised kids do the same as some days my does have more milk. As long as the kids are pooping and playing normally and are still eating something, I've learned not to get too worried. I've been told that is normal.