The Goat Spot Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two 3 week old pigmy billies. I bought them last Saturday, and was told they were born July 7th but the mom dies a little over a week ago. I was also told they were in the bottle already. I've tried two different nipples.. I'm being kinda forceful.. I hold them and open their mouths and try to hold the nipple in there.. All I can get them to take is about one oz each! What am I doing wrong? Do I just keep trying!? I've had goats before, heck, I've had bottle calves before, but not bottle kids.. Thanks for any advice!

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
It can be very frustrating getting them to take a bottle :) you just have to be very patient and don't give up. I've had about 15 bottle babies in the last year. Some are very easy and some were very hard. From my experience the older they are the harder they are. But I didn't give up and just kept trying every few hours and its like it just clicked and they started sucking. Some took a a few days to get it.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
They have some where around 100 goats... They came from a petting zoo.. I should have went to an actual breeder but these two were just so precious. I'm gonna keep trying! They still look good so I'm not too worried!

·
Dave (TDG Farms) S.E. Washington State
4,956 Posts

·
Registered
30,637 Posts
Try putting honey on your finger and sticking it far back on his tongue...get that sucking reflex going do this a few times...have bottle ready with honey on the nipple..now do you honey finger again, once he is going good..slip the nipple in..he will taste the honey and hopefully decide he wants the milk.. At his age it might take a time or two and lots of patients...but this has worked for many :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Start off by putting honey on your finger and put it in there mouth towards the back, after they start sucking on your finger put honey on the nipple of the bottle and they should take it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts