kidding April 8th

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by frost hollow, Apr 2, 2009.

1. frost hollow

frost hollow New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Hi - I'm new. I've had goats for 8 years but they were strictly pets to clear an area. Last summer I decided to start milking and make cheese. I now have 2 nubians and a slew of stories for another time. One of my girls is due April 8th. It is her first kidding and mine too. I think I am prepared but yesterday she began to limp a bit. I think it is because she is sleeping on that leg?? I have had experience with menengial worm and I do not believe that is what I am seeing.. plus we are in a northern location where slugs haven't even come out yet and our area is totally fenced in to keep deer out. I wormed her several weeks ago (ivermectin) in prep for her kidding. I am giving her a pound of 18% goat feed daily split into 2 feedings. She is a smallish (~50+ lb) goat, am I giving her too much?? Otherwise, she seems good... does anyone recognize this slight lameness as a warning sign??

2. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    I'm sorry I don't have enough experience to help you in this area but I do want to say: Welcome to TGS! It may help if you repost your questions/concerns in the Vet section also.

3. StaceyRosado

StaceyRosado Administrator Staff Member Supporting Member

Oct 4, 2007
    NJ
    kids are probably pinching a nerve - thats nto uncommon

Welcome ot TGS!!!

4. kelebek

kelebek New Member

Oct 5, 2007
    South Texas
    Welcome from Idaho :wave:

Sounds to me also that one of the kids might be pinching a nerve - but just keep an eye on her, make sure it doesn't get hot or start swelling.

So make sure you post lots of pictures!!!!!!!!

5. empera

empera New Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Welcome to TGS! You will love it here. Everyone is so helpful and nice. :)

As for the pregnant doe, I'm sorry I cannot offer any advice because I'm inexperienced. But I do hope everything turns out well and you get a lovely :baby: or two!

(Pictures would be awesome!)

6. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    I would agree, those babies are putting a little pressure and it hurts a bit (OH I remember that feeling very well).
    I bet she is as ready as you to have the delivery over with.

Can you post a picture of two of your goats? WE LOVVVVVVE pictures.

OH YEA, WELCOME :wave: TO THE GOAT SPOT. We are so glad you are here.

7. liz

liz Active Member

Oct 5, 2007
    Shelocta PA
    Welcome and congrats on your up coming kids!! Yep, I agree, theres kid laying on a nerve actually happns quite often as they get closer to freshening. But as mentioned, keep an eye on her hoof, leg fro any swelling, could be something stuck in it. The amount of feed shew is getting is fine, but you may want to increase it once she delivers, it will help with milk production.

8. frost hollow

frost hollow New Member

Mar 26, 2009
    Thank you !! a pinched nerve sounds very likely and I hadn't given it a thought or read about that possiblity. I think she's going to go early, her vaginal area is really hanging down and the ligaments around the tail are very relaxed... I'm nervous because I'll probably be on my own with this. I've got my box ready and a list of what I need to do but I'm so afraid it may be complicated... .I will send pics and hopefully be rejoicing with you!

9. Amy Goatress

Amy Goatress New Member

Oct 1, 2008
    Welcome from Holmes County, Ohio!

10. Epona142

Epona142 The farm that Hope began

May 25, 2008
    Madisonville, TX
    I had this EXACT problem earlier this year. It was my first goat to kid, though not her first time thankfully. She started limping during the pregnancy, but a week before she kidded, she stopped limping, and hasn't limped since.

Let us know how she does! :)

11. sweetgoats

sweetgoats Moderator

Oct 18, 2007
    Peyton CO.
    Do you have babies yet? You said you thought she might go early. Today is the 8th. Good luck and you will be fine. :thumbup:

12. toth boer goats

toth boer goats Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2008
    Corning California
    how is she today..........

13. Cinder

Cinder New Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Just wondering if there are kids on the ground yet?